Emoni asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

My bff forgot my birthday...?

We been friends for 10 years, and we don't talk as much unless she wants something or when I text her. She's.pregnant and I always help her financially whenever I can or ask even before she got pregnant, I always remember her birthday I send her money on her birthday which was in February. She asked what's my birthday twice before my birthday came up on march 21st. And when that day came i never got a message from her not even after the day of my birthday nor before. I haven't spoke to her about a week now. What should I do? How can I handle and cope with it?

• Alan H

IT IS HARDLY WORTH FRETTING ABOUT

GET OVER IT

I happen to have pretty good memory when it comes to birthdays and my friends forget mine and my other friends all the time , I don't see it as anything but sometimes I let them know during the week that my birthday is In a few days so they can get me a card and remember to text me or something , some people just find birthdays hard to remember .

I'd say she's got more important things on her mind now and forgive her forgetting.

Maybe she doesn't feel the same way as you because you don't sound like BFF s.  If she's your best friend you should be able to talk to her about this.  It shouldn't take much to find out where you stand.

Friends come in all shapes and sizes...and some are forgetful.  Tell her she forgot your birthday, and next year, remind her the day before the event. 

If she's forgotten, she's forgotten. To cope, I'd suggest thinking rationally - it doesn't seem like she's maliciously decided not to celebrate with you, just that there's a lot on her plate. I'd suggest waiting for it all to get less hectic (for both of you) and then suggest meeting up face to face, or as much as is possible given the situation. Schedule it in, and maybe suggest it's to celebrate your birthday, or ask how things have been and bring up your birthday - say what you did etc. It's best you're open to her.  

"I always help her financially"

" I always remember her birthday I send her money on her birthday which was in February"

Quite frankly, you're an idiot. You should never ever give anyone money, ever. Has she ever gave you money? I bet not. I bet she only keeps the communication because you give her money and that's all she wants from you because you're stupid enough to give it to her. YOU CANT BUY FRIENDS! If you send her a million she still won't wish you happy birthday!

Why are y'all so rude to me all I said was i always help her out i don't even expect favors because im a nice person.

Y'all dont even have friends. Y'all are *****

You answered your own question: SHE'S PREGNANT and has bigger things on her mind! Stop being petty. Reach out to her and find out if she needs help with anything during her pregnancy!

• Fireplace

No, they are NOT ALL rude. Many are, many are not. Same goes for women. Watch your sexism, it is a personal failing. 

• Merry

You have every right to feel incredibly hurt.

It hurts a lot to feel like someone who's friendship means so much to you doesn't show you the same level of consideration, care and respect. 

Your choices now are to wait and see how long it takes for her to contact you (& yes... That will hurt & it will be hard) and when/if she does let her know "it was my birthday last week.. I wasn't expecting a gift or anything special.. but it really hurt that you didn't even bother to phone or contact me in any way".

Your second option is to send her a text message now and let her know how hurt you were. 

Either way... Don't be too quick to let her off the hook... And, more importantly, rethink your idea of what it means to be a friend. A friendship requires two people contributing, give and take. Stop giving her money & being so helpful.. she's taking you forgranted & at the very least, you deserve a pretty genuine apology. 

Good luck... & Happy Birthday