Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 2 months ago

So a vehicle is listed as 2013, but the first owner bought it in 2012. How's that possible. I am confused. ?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Neil
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Many manufacturers (all manufacturers in the USA) describe their vehicles using "Model Years", which do not normally correspond exactly with calendar years, and sometimes are out by many months (Fiat announced MY2021 vehicles for the UK starting February 2020). Therefore it is more than possible to have bought a 2013MY vehicle in 2012.

The US-market is much more focussed on Model Years than other dates to identify cars. The UK market meanwhile is more focussed on the year of first registration and registration plate age identifier. Very few markets actually focus on the date the vehicle was built, and that is often quite difficult to find out.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • arther
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

whats the date of manufacture on the body tags is the date that matters. the dealers listing is trying to make it appear newer than it is thats all when you go and look at it , It is what it is. The date of manufacture could possibly be 2011 on the tag?

• Joseph
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Car manufacturers reveal the next year's models during the major auto shows, like the Detroit Auto Show or New York Auto Show that take place in the winter and spring.  The new models usually become available for sale sometime around August or September.

In the fall of 1974 my cousin bought a 1975 AMC Pacer (I know, the car is a laughing stock now but when it first came out it was pretty popular. Its odd shape even had a bit of coolness factor going for it.)  In late August 1982 by father bought a 1983 Chevrolet Caprice Classic.  In November 1989 I bought a 1990 Ford Bronco II. 

• g
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Most all automakers release their new year model cars several months before the end of the previous calendar year.

For example, in fall of 2019 most all car dealerships had many 2020 models already in stock.

This has been quite common for decades.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

New car models come on the market around September of each year. The first owner of a new 2013 model might have bought it in September (or later) in 2012, when it first went on sale.

• 2 months ago

The next model year comes out in July of the previous year.

• 2 months ago

New cars come out in September usually.  2013 came out in 2012.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's possible, dumbass, because the new model year is released sometime in the previous year, usually late summer por fall. Sometimes earlier.  It HAS BEEN THAT WAY FOR OVER 70 YEARS.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Rosaline, for a long time now, the next year's models are released in spring or summer of the preceding year.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It is a 2013 model year making no difference what year it was sold. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.