What kind of paper should I use to get similar results to this photo?

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

smooth flat matt white

not glossy

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's not just the paper. Most of that is the result of meticulous setup of the whole scene and making sure the camera's settings are spot-on. When exposure is correct, printing will be easy. The most common paper used nowadays is glossy but there are other choices like silk, satin, etc.

• 2 months ago

Well if you have a properly exposed negative and some ability to do do black and white printing in a darkroom, you could try a 2 grade fiber paper with a matte surface.  You could also try mutligrade fibre paper with a 2 filter. This may be easier than the graded paper as if the 2 filter is too little or too much contrast, you can go up or down as needed. Make sure to use a matte surface paper. Ilford is great paper.  Be careful, you want contrast and a true black, but you don't want too much contrast. A full range of tones is what you're going for here. 

Developer: Dektol, 1:1

Did you understand any of the above? Yes, then knock yourself out and good luck. 

No?  Take an intro to photo class that teaches black and white printing. 

• ...Show all comments
    • jeannie
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Pearl is ok - but Matte will give you a a flatter finish.  Do note Keerok's answer: the original negative is perfect because the photographer set up and exposed the shot right. 

• John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Good luck and I  mean that sincerely. That's about as good as photography gets.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Frank
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You don't state whether you're making an inkjet print or a print using actual darkroom materials.  I'll just assume you are using an inkjet.

For this type of photo, you will want to use a matte surface.  Portraits have traditionally been made using matte paper because matte paper does not show as much detail as glossy paper.  This "lack of detail" hides skin blemishes and imperfections, which is why it's standard to use matte paper in portraiture.

Personally I'd use a thick paper with a matte finish such as these: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=29712&fct...

• Raymond2 months agoReport

a print using actual darkroom materials

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.