Which us cities feel the most foreign?

Which us city would make you feel as if you are in another country??

I've now spent enough time in this place to be used to it... But the first time I ever went to New Orleans it felt pretty "foreign" to me. Then again, I'm from L.A. and a lot of people think that city has a fairly Latin American feel to it.

None.  Even US cities near the Mexican border are very American.

Places like Solvang, CA; Leavenworth, WA and Pella, IA

• oldprof

Solvang is a good one.  Svedish meatballs...by yimminy.

• hihi!

San Antonio TX hit me as European. Architecture is somewhat older in places, not glass towers. Spanish language here and there and with Riverwalk, people outside, walking, moreso than Houston or Dallas, where everyone is in a car.

I haven't been to Miami in a while, but when I was there, I was in sections that had signs up that say "we speak English" so it did feel a bit foreign in those parts.

Good question. I've lived all over the US except the upper Midwest States near the Canadian border. So I have several States and cities I can choose from with first-hand knowledge.

I think New Iberia, LA, is my choice. Iberia Parish is heavily populated by Cajuns, ancestors of French Canadians who fled Canada to avoid the War of 1812. Many of them still speak Cajun...along with English with a distinctive accent.

Their older homes are very European looking. And their restaurants specialized in Cajun food, like craw-fish gumbo and blackened catfish. And the downtown architecture seemed quite French in style.

Understand, I lived there back in the 1960s; so I'm guessing it's all different now.

• oldprof

Oh I loved New Iberia.  For one, I was a bachelor in that time frame and the Cajun ladies were absolutely hot...something like their food...eh eh eh....

• martin

Probably San Francisco because it is small but filled with people from all over the world.