Car insurance in the pandemic ?

So I pay monthly instalments on my car insurance, they say they cannot freeze payments because of the pandemic, but with the backing of the government and ordered to stay indoors my car is off no use as I have other family members that can go out and attain major resources. Its seems silly and slightly unfair that my insurance company is taking money from a policy holder that is not allowed to drive  in hindsight. 

If the price they charge you is based on the number of miles you drive per year or on how far your commute is, then tell them that number has changed to zero and have them recalculate the price of your insurance. You'll still have to pay something, but it will be less.

• Neil

Paying insurance by monthly instalments is not paying each month for that month's insurance. What you have actually done is taken out a loan to pay for a year's insurance up-front, and are re-paying that loan monthly.

Just because you are not using the car does not mean that the loan does not have to be re-paid.

Nobody said you're not allowed to drive.  That's a choice you make, not an order you were given.  The fact that you might have nowhere to go doesn't mean you can't drive.

If you're not driving anywhere, ask your insurer to bust your coverage down to Comprehensive only.  Comp (fire, theft, vandalism, etc) is cheap compared to 'road' coverage.

• May

So.  You have made a statement. 

So what is your question, so ?

The "So" generation.

What I would do is CANCEL THE INSURANCE.  Not going to drive for awhile and when you do Start a new insurance.  Sure it is a lot of paperwork, but this way they don't get paid when I don't use it.

Easy to solve.  Don't drive the car?  Cancel the liability insurance.  Get a new policy when the travel ban is lifted.

You aren't allowed to drive in hindsight?  What?

As the saying goes, you're grasping at straws!

• CB

Turn in your plates and registration and then you can cancel the insurance unless the car has lien....problem solved.

Welcome to the wonderful world of car insurance:  I'm 70 years old . . . . I have a 2005 car with 50,000 miles on it that's kept in an underground garage . . . I now drive less than 500 miles a year . . . never a claim in 55 years of driving.  My insurance goes-up every year - now about $1400/yr.  Someone hits me and what will I get?  Squat.

Think I can call and say "drop everything but theft & vandalism?  How about insurance for 1 day a week when I drive a half-mile to the grocery?   Insurance companies are the least charitable crooks on earth.

Your car can still be damaged or stolen ....

So it must still be insured.