What are the risks of having a baby with a man who is 40?

I am 21 my fiancé is 40 and I want to know if there are any risks for when we want a baby.

Without knowing his medical history, it is impossible to predict his ability to father a child. 

However, if you are both healthy, then like the majority of couples, you can be parents.

Talk to your fiance and see how involved he wants to be with child rearing responsibilities. Keep in mind that as people grow, their energy levels decrease, so be prepared for that. Right now, a 20 year difference may be exciting and sexy, but as time goes on, things are going to change quite a bit.

There are going to be lifelong challenges when a girl who left high school just three years ago marries a man who is old enough to be her father. Parenting is probably going to be the least of your problems as time goes on.

the baby will most likely get born at a very young age

Fathering a child over the age of 45 is considered "advanced paternal age" and an increased risk for congenital anomalies.

There's no risks but  you will be a single widowed mum at a young age and do you think when he is nearly 60 he will want an annoying teenager in the house?

• Tulip

My youngest graduated high when I was 64 and it was so so wonderful. What a stupid answer

biggest risk, he will likely die 20 yrs before you do

• Tulip

None.................

• LizB

Here you go: https://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/later-lif... Many people incorrectly believe that only the woman's age matters while men stay virile and fertile forever. Definitely not the reality.

I'll take the risk. I'm only 73. Where you at?

nah too young, find a guy whos 65