Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 2 months ago

If someone tries to pass me on solid yellow road, what would happen if I sideswipe them? ?

There have been instances where I have been driving on a 45mph straight away and almost every other week there happens to be somebody that decides to go 80mph on that road and get on my bumper and try to pass me later. What would happen (with the law) when they try to pass me if I were to either make them rear end me by break checking them or if they do go past I would sideswipe them slightly due to their recklessness?

• Erik

If they rear-ended you, it would be their fault (legally).  However, you would have to ask yourself if the neck and back pain, plus having to deal with your insurance company, would be worth it.  Plus he might be uninsured, or just drive off before you could get his license plate.

If you sideswiped them, that would mean that you went out of your lane.  The other driver would still probably be liable though.  Just don't worry about it.  You might not like it, but when you think about it, it doesn't affect you at all.  You're still going to wherever you were going, at the same speed.  Nothing changes.

• Phil M

"Brake checking" is illegal and if an accident results it is the brake checkers fault. The whole "rear ender is always at fault" statement is just a myth.

• car253

Sounds like you drive in a dangerous area.  I would definately get a DASH CAM !! For the front and rear camera.     If there is any accident you need photos of what happened.    And, if you on purpose cause and accident your auto insurance and the other party will NOT pay for the damages you caused.  Insurance companies pay for damages for accidents, NOT for damages caused on purpose.   

• Phil M

The actions you describe (sideswiping and brake checking) are illegal. If you cause an accident in such ways, you can be prosecuted to the extent of your local laws.

In most jurisdictions, you'd face criminal charges for doing that.  Traffic charges are laid when the crash is accidental, criminal charges are laid when it's done on purpose.

You didn't say where you live, but in this case it doesn't matter.  Operating a vehicle with the intent to cause damage / injury / death is a criminal offence everywhere in the civilized world.

Exactly which charge(s) you'd face will depend on where you live, how much damage was done, witness statements and a whole bunch of other factors.  But the charges you'd face are far more serious than even the heaviest traffic violations.

Here's something you should know:  No auto insurance policy will cover you a) while your vehicle is being used to commit a crime or b) any damage you do intentionally.  No matter how 'full' your coverage is, no matter how long you've faithfully been making payments, your insurance company will refuse to cover any crash you cause on purpose.  Insurance only covers accidental stuff, no exceptions.

• May

"what would happen" can only be answered by a psychic or by doing the deed and seeing "what happens".

"What will happen" and "what if" questions answered here daily

• Robert2 months agoReport

ok boomer

• arther

You will be charged with dangerous driving if they have dash cam of the incident. How will you fair if a heavier vehicle runs thru you? What does that sign keep right unless or taking mean? What about that other road rule that says you shall do everything possible to prevent your vehicle colliding with another vehicle? 

• Anton

" ... What would happen (with the law) when they try to pass me if I were to.... "

You never have the right to clobber someone.  "Brake Checking" is reckless driving, any collision would be your fault.  Trying to sideswipe is also reckless driving, any collision would be your fault.

Read the law for wherever you are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reckless_driving

It's sounds like you drive like chit dude. You're getting people so mad going slow they are doing anything to get by you. If you're such a jerk you try to speed up or hit them be prepared to get shot.

• Robert2 months agoReport

I had no idea going 50-55mph on a 45 means you're a **** driver. Maybe I should try 80 like these other bastards and pass other people on solid yellow

Robert, you should take a refresher course in drivers ed.

• Robert2 months agoReport

Nah.

The car insurance companies determine who's at fault . 

Two morons on the highway meeting each other, what could go wrong?