Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

How do I explain to my children the sheer devastation of the apocalyptic events going on right now around the world with the coronavirus?

I want to explain it in a way that does not bring them terror about the people dying all around us right now. I’m witnessing things I never imagined I would see. Among the dead that we know I’ve just told them they died of old age and I’ve hidden it from them that someone young in the neighborhood has died from coronavirus.

How do I explain this plague to them so they’re not traumatized but they understand what’s happening and use caution not to die from coronavirus themselves? They are ages eight year old twins and a five year old.

Talk about the good things that are happening. In particular, the news from China is encouraging. It proves that the precautions work. Italy has had a terrible time, but things are getting better there. This whole thing could be over in the US by the end of spring, maybe sooner. There's a variety of drugs being tested, and we should be able to come up with something that will help a lot of people recover.

First, let's just put things in the correct context. This isn't sheer devastation. This is not the first time we've dealt with a pandemic. This is however the first time it's been given so much attention.

In 2010, this country had a pandemic with the H1N1 virus. During that time, 60 million people were infected, over 200,000 were hospitalized, and roughly 16,000 died. But, you don't hear anything about that, and you didn't really hear about it then, either. Every year in this country, 20,000 to 70000 people die from the common flu. Another devastating factor that you don't hear very much about. You have to consider, unfortunately, the state of current affairs, and the overblown hype of the media. I'm not going to get into politics here, but, one only has to look at the coverage of the past to understand that there is definitely something more going on with the immediate coverage of this particular disease than in previous years.

Having said that, there's no need for your kids to even know that there's that much of a situation. Just try to keep them comfortable, be a responsible parent, and do your best to keep them out of harm's way. This, like all tragedies and disasters, will pass with time.

What? Are you serious????

As a father of 3, the last thing you should do is lie to them. Children today have the world at their fingertips and are aware of much more than we think. 

Keep them informed and keep them ahead of their generation. There is a lot of misinformation out there so it is our jobs as parents to show them the facts. Show them how to properly search for info , what references are credible and what are purely entertainment sources prying for ratings.

• Tulip

Why do you need to explain anything if they don't ask??

• Marc

First of all, just dont! There is nothing to be scared to death of. Around the entire planet like 1 or 2 children have died from this illness. The media has gotten everyone into such a frenzy over this. Im not saying be stupid, but im also saying people need to stop being all end of the world and stuff. First of all, turn off the damn TV and stop rreadign the stuff on social media. It will terrorize you.

Tell your children everything will be alright...because it will be. Explain there is a virus that people are just being careful about because no one wants to get sick, so for now everyone is being extra careful. In about a month, this will all be over. Re assure them, love them. Play with them. Be the best parent you can be. I wish i had the opportunity to stay at home with my kids when they were small like this.

• Lili

The media are not painting this as an apocalyptic event.  Nothing the media have said justifies the asker's hysteria.

To be frank, you sound like you need to calm down and get your head straight yourself before you even think of explaining anything to your children. If this question is legitimate, and you're using language like "apocalyptic events" and you've got children whom you're looking to reassure, that's not a good sign. Before dealing with them, deal with your own hyperbolic drivel first. This pandemic is bad, but it's not the apocalypse, you clown. If you've really got children, it's up to you to act sane and rational, not start screaming "the end of nigh" at the first sign of a global crisis. The world's gotten through pandemics in the past, when it was much worse equipped and when we didn't have easy long-distance communication. It can very easily get through a relatively average pandemic (average, speaking relative to other historical pandemics) in 2020 as long as everyone keeps their heads on straight and doesn't lose their marbles. Just act sensible and tell your kids to do the same. And only tell them actual facts about the pandemic. Factual information about what the virus is, and what is going on within your country at the moment. No hyperbolic BS or emotionalism drivel about how a plague is destroying humanity.