Why do photographers get paid so much?

I an literally take the same shots they do, they just rely on their software to make the a perfect picture

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

It is a mystery. Really good ones are worth hiring, others are no better than amateurs.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Word
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

The cost of overhead isn't cheap, and if people want the business, then the photographers need to charge what it costs to keep themselves in business.

• 2 months ago

Great photography is costly—however, it's costly on the two sides. Professional photographers buy lots of gear and equipment for photography purposes, obviously, it takes thousands of money. Not only that, but they also spend their valuable time even a couple of weekends and spend many more hours than the time you actually see them shooting. 

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Hahaha!

The best photographers get it perfect in-camera. No software required, literally!

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

LOL... oh my heavens... such a naive question. Tell me this, how do you think photographers made "a perfect picture" ages before there was such a thing as software or even digital cameras? They did it the same way they do it now, by having a full understanding of exposure and composition and what they need to do with the camera to get the shot needed.

I think you are confusing a true professional photographer with all the silly bozos on Facebook and Craigslist who THINK they are photographers.

So you can take the same shots as me huh? Ok, let me put a scenario to you. You have a pretty girl who wants her photo taken in front of a very bright daylight scene through a window. She is inside. If you just point your camera at her and take a shot, all you will have is her in the dark and probably a still overexposed view out the window. What do you have to do so you can have a properly exposed view through the window AND the girl properly exposed? A true professional photographer will have the equipment and knowledge of how to obtain such a photo... with absolutely nothing to do with software.

Your thinking is, however, causing a lot of really good photographers to have to go out of business. Too many people now think like you do and settle for sub par work because, mainly, they simply have lost sight and knowledge of what good photography even is. They are ok with "good enough" and accept blown out highlights, underexposed details,  out of focus,  incorrect color,  poor, non artistic composition, and silly "effects" they have the camera do for them, or even worse, ham fisted garbage from "software".

Though you don't know it, your knowledge of photography, REAL photography, is zero. Time to learn (!) if you care to.

• qrk
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Unless you are a very talented individual or well practiced in the art of photography, I doubt that you can match a competent photographer.

Perhaps you are looking at the work of "photographers" out there that shouldn't be charging for their work.

If you think that a competent photographer solely  relies on software to make perfect pictures, you are sorely mistaken. It's really difficult to fix lighting and styling issues in software.  Software is great for getting contrast the way you want, removing zits and fliers, and a few other tricks to get the right feeling.

• 2 months ago

YOU are kidding yourself if you THINK that you can "take the same shots they do".  Photographers do NOT "just rely on their software to make the perfect picture".

• 2 months ago

cause they make the perfect pictures

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.