Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

What do I do? ?

I got rejected from my dream university... I’ve been sick to my stomach for a week now and depressed... I keep crying and can’t get out of bed... I haven’t eaten much even though I want to. I’ve been sobbing like an idiot and I don’t know what to do.. 

I’m lost and I didn’t like the universities I got accepted into.. 

I feel like an embarrassment and failure 

The same thing happened to me years ago. It is upsetting because it is rejection. But I went somewhere else in the end and I don't think about it these days.

I felt the same way. I got a small scholarship to Miami University of Oxford, Ohio and I really wanted to go, accepted into UVA, but I said no to go to a state school. I didn't love the state school but it was easier to figure out how to get their than any other school so I went. I felt terrible and like a waste of space, but when I go there I loved it. I wouldn't have given up the experience for the world. Honestly, it doesn't matter where you go to school. You will have a great time and experience no matter where you go. Most jobs don't even care where you went to  school as long as you went to school. Don't worry about things you can't change, but I'm sure you can also reach out them and explain to them it was a mistake and they will let you in. You won't know unless you try!

• df

Lol don’t be a drama queen. Do well your first year and then reapply. They might just need to see what you can do

Going to college straight out of high school is super competitive but it's easier as an adult.  You don't have to go to college right this instant.  There's always next year and the year after that and the year after that.  You have the rest of your life ahead of you.  If that's the school you REALLY want to attend keep trying.  You'll get in eventually.  

Give it time and really turn it over in your mind.  Schedule several campus visits.  Schedule meetings with an admissions counselor, ask lots of questions about admissions requirements, academics, extracurriculars and get answers.  Most importantly, be mature, engaged and conversational in the meeting.  Show them you've done your research and have academic and extracurricular goals.

Take your time to really get to know the campus and the people.  Patronize campus retail establishments, eateries and any other areas open to the public.  Go to the student union if it's allowed.  Eat at the dining hall if permitted (sometimes they'll give you a voucher for the dining hall when you schedule a campus tour).  Visit the bookstore (campus bookstores are usually always open to the public).  Spending time on campus really clues you into the culture and maybe what they're looking for in a prospective student.  It may help you in your application process.

In the meantime start working full-time (if you can find a full-time job) and saving up some money.  You're definitely gonna need it!

join the army. Next time you apply you should get accepted.

• John

You need to get over this and proceed with your life. If you can't do so on your own, seek medical treatment.  Here are some questions to consider: Was your only goal in life to get into this particular school?   If you had been admitted, when you graduated 4 years from now would your life be over?  Do you have absolutely no future plans for a career, or a family?   

• MS

Being upset is understandable.  Getting denied by your dream school hurts, because it was your dream.  So take some time to be upset and have a good cry.  Nothing wrong with that.  

But the fact that you were accepted to other universities is a good thing.  So when you're ready, brush yourself off and start really looking into your acceptance offers to see which of those will best meet your needs.  Consider your academics, the financial aspects, but also the social aspects that might appeal to you.  I imagine you'll find a place where you feel you belong. 

Of course you are upset.  Of course you feel like your dreams have been crushed.  That's kind of normal when you pin all you hopes on something and it doesn't happen. So you have a good cry. You grieve the loss. Then you wipe your eye, see the world is still there, and move on. If you can't, then you need professional help.

Tens of thousands of kids get rejected from colleges every year. They learn to deal with that disappointment. Either get a grip  and some perspective or ask your parents to get you into emergency psychological counseling ASAP.  

see a therapist or get counseling about this

Wow, you've clearly lived a privileged life.  So you didn't get into the college you wanted to, but you got into college.  You're a lot better off than a lot of other people.  Time to grow up.