If you cause a car accident will it go on your driving record?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • car253
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Depends on where you live.   In California if the accident IS your fault but there are no injuries and the damage is UNDER $1,000 it will not go on your DMV record.  So, the key is IF you have an at fault accident, and IF possible keep the dollar amount under $1,000 payout.    Example, if only your at fault and there is no other car involved then only take less than $999 even if the auto insurance company offers you more money.  And, do not take payment for the rental car if the total goes over $999. 

That probly will not work in a 2 car accident.    That's in California.   Rules vary by state and company,. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Yep          .

• 2 months ago

Yes. Your marks will be deducted after that.

• 2 months ago

Yes, it will be on your driving record.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I actually got a ticket because I had a car parked in the same place too long AND some flowering shrubbery obscured a clear line of sight path to the front door...so I moved the car and trimmed the azaleas and went to minor court and got the ticket dismissed by post compliance, and still paid a twenty dollar court fee for having put them to the trouble of having to cite me. 

The most educational part of that experience was looking at the D.A.'s computer screen:  Every burned out brake light, every expired inspection sticker, a failed turn signal, an expired registration, an improperly placed temporary tag, even a burned out license plate light, you know, even from twelve, fifteen years ago, it's ALL RIGHT THERE!  sooo, yeah, I'd say that law enforcement is kind of like a craftsman with unlimited storage space, that never throws away an old tool, (your offenses are their tools) and everything you did that was recorded by a policeman is still right there, no matter how minor as I can attest.

• car253
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Non-moving violations do not go on your DMV record,.

• Ya-Hoo
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

The worst is it will show up when you buy auto insurance so the cost will go up. Some will only check back 3 years but a lot are checking back 7 years now.

• car253
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

3 years in California.   Varies by state. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

All accidents go on your driving record.

• car253
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Not at fault accidents do not go on your DMV record.

• 2 months ago

If it is a reportable accident, yes. Reportable means there were injuries or a vehicle had to be towed.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

......and if either party's insurance was involved, you can be sure that the insurance companies have much more efficient records systems than government and they share all information with each other.

• May
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It may go on both your DMV driving record and your insurance record

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.