Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Is it really that bad to still go out and about during this whole pandemic?

So I am well aware of this coronavirus thing and how it is affecting and spreading. But unfortunately with having bipolar disorder and depression, I have to go out and about and at least do something to help my mental state. If I were to stay home it would drive me insane. I am still practicing social distance and so I go out during times when there is not a lot of people. I'm told that what I'm doing is bad, and ver risky. Is it really bad if I were to just go joyriding in the car or go out and maybe like park in an city garage and walk around when there's no one around?

Hey, yeah I totally get you. A lot of those who suffer with mentle health will find this extremely difficult and it's not been spoken about. Limit yourself to 1 hour a day excerise outside, keep your distance and if you can cover your mouth and nose with a scarf. Thousands are catching it everyday and thousands are dying everyday, it's a massive risk so please when you go out, be safe! X

You get driven?  Your lucky.  I got to walk. Social distancing is not working as the U.S. passed China(which has 3 times larger population and had the disease longer). So all is not good.

• Kate

I'm sorry you are living with these debilitating barriers but you must find a way of staying home. Going out can put you at more risk. Try and develop some strategies and activities that can take your mind off it and stay home at all costs.

• Please don’t feed the troll. He’s been posting drivel in the “people with disabilities” section for years.  He comes up with a disability of the month.  It’s been quite some time since he’s dragged out the bipolar disorder.

1. Don’t drive unless you need to. Car accidents happen, and you don’t want to end up in a hospital these days.

2. Avoid public places. Even if you avoid peak times, coronavirus stays active on various surfaces for a long time.

You probably want to go out and around where other people are not around at any time. If it’s about connecting with people, you need to use tools like skype and facetime.

• patty

yes it is fine to go out and about but stay away from other people eg when going for a walk

If you have a yard, I recommend starting a garden. Research has shown that gardening helps decrease stress as well as anxiety. The most rewarding thing from the garden is not just the produce, but the fact that it attracts wildlife. You can sit outside everyday watching the bees, butterflies and hummingbirds. The scenery is purely incredible and peaceful to the mind. 

I see nothing wrong with going in a grocery store and socially distancing yourself or going for a ride in a car or going through a drive-thru.  I find sitting by a sunny window and looking out helps, too.

What makes you think you can go out and be immune to the virus. Do you think they have the pandemic laws to keep YOU safe? To help with bipolar, keep you mind occupied. You have the internet - there are many things you can do.

Yeah, I’m with you. Forget about the bipolar and depression, you sound pretty sane to me. And I’m also not about to lock myself up inside because I’m well aware that it’s important to get sunshine and fresh air and some kind of outdoors exercise and change of scenery because these things strengthen the immune system. People don’t use their brains. You sound like you do

Absolutely fine, as you say you need to get out, take a walk