ashley asked in HealthDental · 2 months ago

what to do about a cavity at home?

i woke up with a little pain in my mouth, i went to the bathroom to look and there was blood around my tooth and a little bit of black stuff, despite caring for my teeth so well i still got a cavity but cant see a dentist till next week. how can i keep the cavity from spreading, worsening, and becoming very painful? i gargled with salt water, my dad said it would be Painful but it didnt hurt at all, is that a good sign?

What  causes cavities?Dental  cavities  or  caries,are tiny holes in the  hard surface  of the teeth.

If the cavity is at the early stage it can be prevented from reaching the dentin i.e. the nerve tissue of the tooth. But if it has reached the enamel or nerve tissue it will need dental treatment by a dentist. There are few home remedies to avoid it to reach the dentin

1. Use of coconut or sesame oil in and around the cavity area

2. Rubbing of aloe vera gel. It has the capability of fighting bacteria

3. Avoid sugary and acidic foods

4. Use clove oil

5. Rinsing with Saltwater.

These things can delay or reduce pain but eventually, you may have to visit a dentist to get the cavity treated.

The amount of damage done to your teeth may depend, not on the quantity of sugar you eat, but on the frequency of your meals and sugary snacks. Since saliva flow is low while you sleep, one of the most destructive things you can do to your teeth is eat or drink sugar and then retire for the night without brushing your teeth. On the other hand, chewing sugar-free gum after meals is said to increase saliva flow and help protect your teeth.

• Bort

Salt water cleans and disinfects. It doesn't hurt. It tastes horrible and it might sting a little (due to open wounds if you have open wounds). But one thing I did that helped was I would put a tylonal next to the tooth and let it disolve when it hurt while I slept. I would wake up with out pain. Most people will probably not recommend doing that but I did and it worked for me until I could get to the dentist. Just keep it as clean as you can and do what you can with OTC meds and tooth ache numbing stuff like anbesol for the pain until you can get to the dentist next week.

You live with it until you can see a dentist.

• k w

just keep gargling with salted water, but you should check out a Biological/Wholebody dentist, they run rings around an ordinary one, even with this virus thing going around, you still may be able to get a consultation with one in your emergency condition...I know, I got one after my stroke, and she is awesome too ! you can use Yelp dot com and your zipcode to do a search in your area, you'll never go back to dial-up dentistry.....it's like comparing an Elmers glue repair, to a 2part Epoxy fix! your choice...

You're lucky to have a dentist appointment at all !

Deal with any pain by taking an over-the-counter pain killer, such as aspirin, Tylenol, or Aleve.

I don't think a cavity would become much worse over the space of a week, but whatever the problem is, it's good that you're going to be able to see a dentist soon.

• Murzy

You can get a temp filler from CVS, Rite Aid or Walgreens.

• Robin

go to the supermarket or pharmacy and buy an emergency tooth fill kit