How can I get into Howard University? ?

- I'm currently have a 3.3 GPA with average scores on the SAT and ACT tests

- I have a desire to become an ophthalmologist, but I will be getting a major in Biochemistry

- I'm a very open-minded person

- I have a magnificent story

- I'm African American, etc.  

Harvard university is an ivy league and thus one of the most selective universities in the world. You will have to work very hard in your application. To begin with, I recommend that you re-give your SAT exams and get a higher score as the competition to be accepted into Harvard is High. Having High scores increases your chances of getting in.

Secondly, make sure your letters of recommendation are glowing. This is an important part of your application and can help you get in. 

Your GPA is lower than their median GPA of students accepted which can set you back, but grades are not always important. 

In your personal statement make your story shine. Show how it made you into a better person and how you grew after that. Harvard loves students who are unique, diverse and individual. 

Even if all the components in your application are perfect it does not guarantee you admission into Harvard. so I suggest that you apply to back up universities [backups should not include other ivies]. You should categorise universities into Ambitious, target and safe.

if you need any further help or guidance counselling visit https://yocket.in/undergrad

Write a really good interesting essay. I have a 3.5 gpa and I got into Tufts university because I wrote an essay in the structure of a constitutional amendment. Also take harder or more AP Classes.

Applying might help - I'd think someone with a 3.3 GPA would have figured that out by now.

my dad is a howard graduate . a 3.3 GPA is average  but they like students who have a higher GPA. good luck

finish college,then apply

• John

The answers below are good, so allow me to discuss a different issue.  To be an ophthalmologist, one must first become a physician.  To get into medical school, you will have to do much better academically than you did in high school.  You either need to excel academically in college, or consider a different career.

Being male will definitely help. The student body is nearly 70% female. So Howard might be able to cut you some slack on the SAT/ACT exams. But you should plan on retaking them in October and study beforehand. 

Did you study the school's website, determine whether you meet all requirements to apply for admission? Did you check statistics of previously accepted students, and acceptance rates, to see if you might have some chance of acceptance?

Do your homework.

• drip

If you can’t get your GPA up, then retake the SAT or ACT exam. There really is no other way.

You are on the low side for this university. Just be sure to apply to other schools as well. 

It might be pretty pricey. Look around to see if you can get your undergrad at a cheaper place.