Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 2 months ago

Has it been scientifically proven that the Coronavirus evolved from an older virus?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

I suspect the question you are really asking is whether Covid-19 is natural or whether it was engineered. The evidence suggests it is natural and there are three main strands.

Firstly, researchers have examined genetic sequences for Covid-19's spike proteins. These are the bits of the virus that allow it to attach to and unzip and enter a cell. Covid-19 targets the human ACE2 receptor to do this, which is involved in blood pressure regulation.

The point is that this is a complicated interaction between complicated molecules, like the interaction between a specific lock and key. It is very unlikely that we could genetically engineer a sequence to produce these spike proteins to target that particular receptor and have it work as incredibly efficiently as Covid-19. The molecular cleverness looks as though it evolved and was honed and refined over time rather than engineered and this is seen as mutations in those spike protein codes compared to other viruses.

Secondly, if you were to go and engineer a virus as a weapon, what you would do is base the genetic backbone on one you knew would cause disease in humans. The reason for this is because of what we just said ... you need a virus with the specific spike proteins to enter human cells and it is evolution that has given us those blueprints. In other words, if Covid-19 was engineered it would look like an existing human-infecting virus. Covid-19 does not look like that - we haven't seen it before and it is too different from other human-infecting Corona viruses to be engineered. 

Finally, we do see similarities between this virus and some known to infect bats and pangolins. It is highly unlikely that anyone would take a virus that infects animals like a bat or pangolin, then try to tweak the genetics to create a version that infects humans. You'd go to all that effort and, even if you managed it, you'd have no idea what symptoms it would cause in humans, whether it would have high or low transmission rates, or whether it actually could achieve the desired outcome. That's why it makes much more sense to alter an existing human-infecting virus. It is infinitely more likely that the reason Covid-19 looks like corona viruses in some mammals is because it evolved from there. Not in a lab.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

it appears so

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-co...

The coronavirus pandemic circling the globe is caused by a natural virus, not one made in a lab, a new study says.

The virus’s genetic makeup reveals that SARS-CoV-2 isn’t a mishmash of known viruses, as might be expected if it were human-made. And it has unusual features that have only recently been identified in scaly anteaters called pangolins, evidence that the virus came from nature, Kristian Andersen and his colleagues report March 17 in Nature Medicine.

• 2 months ago

Not sure about that, but coronaviruses are common in various animals including chickens. You may remember the SARS virus that came from China something like 2002 if I remember correctly. There was also the MERS virus, that I believe came from Saudia Aribia.

The present coronavirus is not like bacteria which has DNA and is able to reproduce itself. Instead it has single-strand RNA that has coded within it the instructions to penetrate the cell of a host and hijack the reproductive machinery of the host cell and use it to reproduce. When the host cell dies, the reproduced viruses exit the dead host cell and move on to other live host cells. One possibility of fighting the virus, if I remember correctly, would be to prevent the viruses from escaping from the dead host cell. (That's not what a vaccine would do.) So far as I know a vaccine might work in two ways or one of those two: Block the "spike" protein that allows the virus to enter the host cell or initiate T cells that find the virus cells and kill them. That's about all I know about it. Whether it mutated from a previous virus or somehow developed the capability to transfer to humans, I don't have a clue.

• Snoopy
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

No it hasn't. Viruses evolve from dnas or rnas. That would mean from any living nucleic acids. 

Meaning they could evolve from a banana tree if they wanted to although bananas are too classy to let that happen. 

Apologies if I type like a retard but I was convicted of a violent crime last week by a psycho judge in Scotland a retard police officer 'in lust' and a retard/nasty prosecutor. I am thus trying to live up to those low standards with difficulty. These people are now called "corrupt". Basically it is a nicer way to say psycho. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Cowboy
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

yep - it's one of mother nature's own - no doubts about it.

• |
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

More than 100% true evolved-mutated, as same facts (it is how stuff works) :

- As Nancy told and explained, it mutates, when all get it, and it is in the bodies of all, it is not dead, but body say it "advances" immunity and functions normally all (who fight to survive). Upon consuming from individuals anti-biotics or other that attack the virus = it mutates, as defensive, producing new strain. The person builds immunity to the new strain, survives it, but it is in the person, and ... is transferred to next person who by the way "never saw" the new strain - mutated. No one says it started in China, it can be it started from person in USA or Australia but the Chinese person or other went to Wuhan and brought the strain that no-one saw before (noone can track natural things - well, I can but I don't want to bother my mind).

- Next, isolations help to the individuals to rise self immunity, but it can't prevent the receiving/catching the virus, sooner or later all will (if not this year, next).

- The strain, it lives in air with days in some conditions on the planet, one stronger wind ... and it is in any building (through vent systems), or far field, or 50 km away. It is self illusion that any is 100% protected. Body builds immunity, "Paracetamol" (not more) 1 pill before sleep, salty soups, few days, and is on feet.

- For next strain, ...-20, will happen inevitably, ... what should be told, ... it is explained up/above.

Same way work all other viruses, and ... their mutant cousins.

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Not exactly sure what you are asking. Coronaviruses have been around probably from before we have. This particular strain does live in a particular Bat, it jumped into something and then into us. If that something was another animal, a lab, UFO's, a stagnant puddle on the market floor. I do not know, Don't know if they figured that one out yet. Doubt it was the US military like some say considering we didn't know about until two months at least, after China knew something was going on.  If it was planted by a military, I'd be looking at one who had the tech and was also close to the last industrialized nation to have an infections, Russia.

• 2 months ago

No. Believed to be from Bats originating in Wuhan China where bats are eaten.

• AdamTheAtheist
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

So bats already had the virus before humans. But where did the virus come from?

• 2 months ago

No need to 'prove' it. Something like this doesn't just pop into existence out of nothing. Even if it was made in a lab, our science is at the 'add a scrap of DNA to this other thing that already works' stage.

• Nancy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Coronavirus was first identified in 1965.  Obviously, it existed before then, but that was the first time it was identified as a distinct virus.  At that time, it was named B814.  A few years later, B814 got dubbed "coronavirus" because of how it appeared under a microscope, appearing to have a corona around it like the sun.  Since then, there have been numerous strains of coronavirus that have come about, varying strains being the result of mutation.  Coronavirus Disease 2019 (a.k.a., COVID-19), what is causing so much trouble around the world, is a particular strain of coronavirus that mutated (or evolved) from a prior strain and first appeared in 2019, hence the "19" in COVID-19.  

• |
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

Yep, true.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.