Videography info?

I have a Sony a6300 and I know how to use it at its most basic level; I took film classes in high school and I've made multiple short films with it. However, I'm looking to expand my skills as a cinematographer/videographer. I want to understand all the settings, what they mean, and what all the technical language all over the internet means. I've been trying to watch YouTube videos and read forums for videographers and photographers but everyone is using very technical language that I simply don't understand yet. I know the very basics - like ISO, f-stop (apparently no one except me even calls it that), white balance, shutter speed, etc. - but I want to use my camera to its max potential. So, essentially my question is where do I start? I'm struggling to find advanced beginner material because everything labeled "beginner" does not explain anything and just says "do this and you can figure the rest out later." Any book, youtube channel, forum, etc. recommendations for me? Thanks in advance:)

• Sumi

I'd go to kelbyone.com and sign up for some of their classes.  Lynda.com has classes as well.

I  was in a similar situation where I took a class that too advanced for me and I ended up not understanding much of what was discussed.  What I did was to write down all of the terms and concepts that I didn't know anything about and then do a web search for the terms.

I think that since you already know what an aperture or an f/stop (everyone uses f/stop or aperture interchangeably) your main concern should be two main things: lighting and story telling.

You may also want to invest into a camcorder instead of using a digital still camera that just so happens to have video capabilities.  A camcorder will allow you to do things not possible with a digital camera.  It'll also have fewer problems like overheating (which you may or may not have experienced with your Sony).  A camcorder will have features like image stabilization, a wider aperture, a better sensor made specifically for video, power zoom for smooth video, and a variety of other features designed specifically for video.  Most people that I've seen who use a DSLR or mirrorless camera for video, do so mainly for B roll while using a dedicated camcorder as the main camera.  Just something to think about.