Eva asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

would you go vegan?

If I haven't yet, I probably won't ever. I've been vegetarian for over 30 years. Vegan is more ideal to me, but would be extremely difficult to achieve.

My husband once brought a drake home and killed it for dinner. I cried as he carried it through the house. He was an ex farm boy and laughed when I told him it was because the poor drake didn't know he was about to die. He ended up eating that drake on his own. I couldn't do it. The same with some yabbys (like prawns) he brought home, live. Even the ugly one that kept snapping at me when I looked at him didn't change my mind - he ate them on his own as well. In answer to your question - I LOVE meat, but only store bought. If I lived on a farm and saw the animals with their cute and quirky personalities I have absolutely no doubt I would be vegan/vegetarian - whatever. But, I wouldn't eat meat. 

I can't say I am totally vegan by any stretch, as I still eat animal products like milk, cheese, etc, but my meat consumption is almost nothing now. I never was a real fan of eating meat, and now that there are so many vegan options to chose from, I mostly go for those rather than an actual animal meat product.

• Anton

Sure! No Problem!   Just give me a valid reason, one not based in lies.

I will never go vegetarian or vegan. Not going to happen. I'm always going to eat meat and dairy, and I refuse to change. End of story.

• Daisy

No. I have seen no reason to go vegan.

Veganism is based on lies. You will not necessarily lose weight, you won't save a single animal's life, have beautiful skin, live longer, etc, etc.

You can still get all of the diseases I can get. Plus it's an incomplete diet requiring taking manufactured supplements to try and get the nutrients needed to stay healthy.

veganism isnt a great idea, since gynecomastia (man boobs) is one of the main disadvantages of veganism. many vegan foods use soy, which has been tied to gycomastia.

• Wendigo

One known case does NOT prove anything. Science requires far more than a single incidence. A single incidence is considered anecdotal, and not sustainable as proof. However NOT all vegans eats soy or so little, that men NEVER develop breasts. 

No I wouldn't and that's for medical/health reasons, as well as the advice I received many years ago from a friend that I had who was a nutritionist. I tried with my late girlfriend the lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet, and went through failure to thrive on it as did my girlfriend. Between the two of us, we had more than fourty years of knowledge, to work from, so neither of us were slouches when it came to knowledge about nutrition. 

The fact is that the strict vegetarian diet of veganism is NOT suitable for everyone. While an all plant based diet CAN BE healthy for all ages and stages of life, it is NOT healthy for everyone, contrary to claims otherwise, and attempts to reword what has been put out by such organizations such as the American Heart Association, the American Cancer Society, or any others that used the wording CAN BE. Can be is NOT an all inclusive as some attempt to make it out as.

Also another issue fr me is choline, and the amount I've learned I need, versus the caloric intake needed to meet that need to not end up on the floor with severe chest pains. Also the strict vegetarian diet tends often to be high in carbohydrates, which are not my friend. Those with low or high sugar has to watch their carbohydrate intake. The years I've spent learning about nutrition, resulted in my learning about different medical issues as a unintended side affect. However in closing, while I may eat meat, that doesn't mean I'll take sides in every case, with others who also eats meat.

• GFH

No.  I have been following a vegetarian diet for three years now, and starting a vegan diet is difficult for me. 

Never!!!!!! Malnutrition? No thanks lol