Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 2 months ago

How can I free up space, and uninstall the program that won't uninstall?

My laptop has been struggling to run for a while now. I have a program on my laptop that just won't uninstall, and is filling up space. I know there's other programs that can help with that, but my laptop is too full to have another program installed. I can't even install updates for my laptop, which makes it worse. I've uninstalled other programs and moved some pictures to a flash drive, but that's not doing much. I don't know what else to do now, the only option right now is to just wipe out the entire laptop. Are there any other ways I can free up space and uninstall the program? Please let me know!

U can use extra hard drive .

exterior [runs from DVD drive] program should be able to remove or disable this 'program' -- which, frankly, sounds like malware to me.

As long as it is a "normal" program like a game and not an operating system add-on, just delete its directory (folder) in program files & empty the recycle bin.

That instantly gives you the space back.

If any files in it's directories will not delete - rename them, eg. just add an X to the name.

Also delete any directories with the same name in \Program data and in your documents directory.

Then run ccleaner, first of all normally to remove leftovers, then go to tools - registry cleaner and run that, deleting every error item it finds.

Make a backup when it offers that first time,  then re-run the reg cleaner repeatedly until there are no errors left (or only the same ones for several runs).

Done properly that removes all relevant traces and links to a program.

If any files would not delete, now reboot and try deleting again, then run ccleaner again as above.

• skibee2 months agoReport

what if it's android?

• Dick

Here's what I think I'd do. You can't only look at this as how full your hard drive is. The major factor is how many programs are booting up when you start your computer. Most software packages install a relatively small set of software on your computer so that it runs at startup. When you add all of these small packages of software up you'll find that it can easily consume most or even all of your computing resources. So my recommendation would be to use the instructions I placed below and learn to stop all unnecessary programs from booting at startup. This doesn't stop them from running when you click on their associated icon on your desktop. Once you have turned off all unnecessary programs then you should be able to function pretty normally and address cleaning out that hard drive. You also might want to consider moving all of your documents, pictures, movies, etc. to flash drives at least for the interim period until you clean out some space on the hard drive. Here are the instructions on how to turn of (and turn on) programs at start up. I strongly recommend that you turn off everything but your antivirus software until you get straightened out. Copy and paste the following lengthy instructions into a Word, or Notepad document so you can read them while you work with them. >>>>> Slow Computer – Everybody tends to blame the slowness of their computer on the hardware such as the CPU, the HDD or SSD. Generally speaking the slowness you’re realizing is caused by you. Here’s how it happens. In the majority of cases, when you install a new program on your computer it will also install an execute file (.exe) in the Startup routine or as many call it, the boot up routine. Some programs will ask you if you want to include the software in the start up process but many don’t. Most people simply say “yes” and with that another program in going to not only be launched in the “back ground” but will continue running as long as your computer is turned on. These small chunks of software simply keep their associated programs at the ready to launch if you double click on the associated icon, such as Word, Excel, your web browser, etc.

Here’s how to allow them to be installed and then turn them off. Why would you want to do this? Well, for example Microsoft Office used to run in the background all of the time. Updates to that software have changed that but in that example, why would you want MS Word, Excel, etc. running in the background when it’s not actually being used. Generally speaking, you can turn off everything but your security programs, such as antivirus software.

Here’s how to turn of the vast majority of programs “running in the background”.

(1) Right click in an open area of your Task Bar. (2) In the list that appears, left click on Task Manager. (3) Near the top of the window that appears, left click on the Startup tab. (4) Now look at the list and select the programs you want to turn off as follows. Look in the column titled Status. To see if the item is Enabled, or Disabled. If it’s enabled and you’d like to stop it from booting up, simple left click on that line once and the line will be highlighted in blue. Now look down at the lower right hand corner of that window, and click on the Disable button once. The status column will reflect that it is now disabled. Do this to all items you wish to stop from booting up. (5) If at some point you wish to allow a program you’ve disabled to be in the Startup routine, simply redo the above process, and when you look in the lower right hand corner of the window, simply click on Enable. The software will then be back in the Startup routine. <<<<< Hope this helps!!!

Source(s): 34 Years Computer Experience & IT Support
    • skibee2 months agoReport

are u talking windows ?

Either have USB sticks and dump stuff on them(photos, and music for example) then uninstall stuff you can reinstall it.  Once you get enough space then get FIRST : TRY to install that problem program again(then you can try to uninstall it)    otherwise install "Wise Uninstaller" and install it.  Now FORCE the uninstall of the program you are having trouble with.  It does a good job.

I have done the "first tried to reinstall the program and then tried to uninstall it and most times that works well.

• keerok

You know what has to be done. Format the hard drive and reinstall from scratch. Resetting will do if your laptop has that option. Time to buy an external USB hard drive to back up all your data and files. When you reinstall, make sure all your all your installers are clean. There's no sense putting back the same culprit viruses back in place.

You asked same question just a day or so ago, identical word for word.  Just like then, you still will not tell what model laptop you have so you can get accurate guesses.

• skibee2 months agoReport

and is it android ?

• Murzy

download an uninstaller program. there are several good ones

try using iobit uninstaller to uninstall programs.

also, scan ur computer with malwarebytes anti malware.

Do you get any error messages? If you do, those could provide clues as to what is going on.