Were The Doors the greatest band of the 60's and up until 1971?

• dman63

The Doors are one of my favourite ‘60’s bands, but there are plenty of other bands from that time that also rank up there.

In my opinion the best musicians in that time frame are

Led Zeppelin

Jimi Hendrix

The Doors

In that order

Purely subjective don't you think? Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Grateful Dead, The Stones, The Who, and of course The Beatles, all 60's bands. Even Led Zeppelin's 1st album came out in 69'. As someone that was 14 yrs old in 1969, for me personally, The Doors would not be the greatest band of the 60's.

• Phil

Led Zeppelin's first two alums came out in 1969, not just their first album.

• patty

i

don't like the rolling stones or the

beatles

or all the other ones, and the Doors are up there with the best

• Mike

In whose opinion? I like them well enough, but they don't get that rating from me.

• Emdog

It all boils down to your taste. I prefer Beatles and Hendrix, but if you think the Doors, that's fine too.

My pick is The Beatles runner up The Rolling Stones

nah man not the greatest

They were great, but what is the criterion to determine which is the greatest? 

The Beatles and Rolling Stones were formed before The Doors, and while Morrison died a year and a half after The Beatles broke off, the Stones kept going. 50 years later, we see the 1960's in some sort of compressed view, but living through those years, I can tell you that tings were changing, fast.

The Doors were unique, had their niche, had their public, have their legacy. Which is the greatest is a matter of taste. And when I listen to the Doors, I have to say that I can go "Wow, they were really great", but the next day, I listen to the Beatles, depending on my mood, I can also feel, at that time, that they were better.

So, were they the greatest?

No.

Not one single band was the greatest. They all were.

no, that would be The Beatles