Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 2 months ago

How much batter should a 4K TV look compared to 1080p TV ??

When I went from old CRT tv to 1080p I was blown away and impressed.  When I have gone from 1080p to 4k like interesting look same to me.  Granted both the 1080p and 4k are off brands.  1080p is Element and 4k is Hisense both cost around $275.  

I am considering buying a $1000 4k tv just to see if I can tell the difference and hope HDR content displays better.  I am going to be highly pissed if I spend $1,000 and I can not see no difference between a 1080p TV and a 4K TV.

It won’t look any better than 1080HD at all when it displays 4K content if the screen isn’t big enough. 

When I worked for a TV retailer it was drummed into us and regularly demonstrated that at normal viewing distances, it is not possible to see the difference unless the screen exceeds 56” diagonal. 

Even at that break-even point, it is very difficult to see any difference at all unless you have two identical TVs next to each other displaying the same image, but one at 1080HD and the other at 4K. 

It starts to get a bit easier after 65” unless a 4K TV is displaying a 1080HD source using 4K upscaling: the best TVs carry out the interpolation needed for upscaling so well and so quickly that they suffer none of the giveaway imaging artefacts apparent on budget models and budget brands which tend to use older technologies.

For the most part, 4K TVs are a marketing gimmick unless you get to truly giant TVs. But as they then tend to be used in giant rooms and so viewed from greater distances most buyers STILL don’t see any real improvement, but they definitely would notice how soft the image looked when those same giant screens display anything less than 4K, whether upscaled or not.

• James J2 months agoReport

This commenter knows what he's talking about.

A 4K Television has much more detail.

Source(s): Best Buy

Depends whether it is beer batter or tempura.

Personally I think a good beer batter with a decent ipa takes some beating. 

• Robsteriark

Deep-fried battered TVs could be popular in Scotland: the country which invented the deep-fried battered Mars Bar, and then applied that to other crap like Cadbury’s Creme Eggs and jokingly to TV remote controls and iPhones.

You have found the point of diminishing returns 

(as the price goes up, the benefits received become less evident). 

The best way to see a benefit from a 4k TV 

is with a screen size of no less than 65 inches 

and, of course, some real 4k content.  

I wouldn't waste my money on any of it. 

The key bit of info about all your TVs and the ones you are considering is their SIZE, and you left that out.

On a 32 inch TV, going from 1080 to 4K isn't going to be very much. It's going to show the bigger the TV is, and you also then need the CONTENT to be 4K as well.

Such as specific 4K channels or 4K BluRays. If you only feed 1080 content into a 4K TV, it's not going to look any better than on a 1080 TV, obviously.

Off brands don't give a rats *** if you can see a difference.

The game changer is HDR.  Most content is NOT high dynamic range so for a normal person like you, seeing the difference is hard.  Before spending that kind of money, have a sales person demonstrate the HDR to you.

When buying, check the black levels.  LCD's (all led tv's have LCD's) are trying to block 100% of the light to achieve black. They CAN'T do that.  But some are better then others.

I have a OLED and am very happy with it. But then, those aren't $1000, they are more.

A friend of mine's an ex BBC techie with a highly developed ability to assess picture quality - he recently bought a 4K Hisense and is very impressed with it.  

To answer your question, if you're close to the screen you'll notice a difference, but from what most people would consider a comfortable viewing distance the difference will be marginal at best.  If you can see the difference between a 4K and 1080p TV it's more likely to be due to modern screen technology e.g. better viewing angles and greater dynamic range.

• Boy

4K tv would only stand out on a 55 inch tv in my opinion and also a lot of broadcasting isn’t broadcasted in 4K and it is still vastly mixed with 1080i 720i or 4K

• Kyle

It does look A LOT better.  i recently got a 4K TV from a 1080p TV that was about 5 years old.  i also wanted a smart TV to access a lot of apps i would use like vudu, hulu, and others.

even if you have a blu ray player, it will still show better on a 4K TV than on a 1080p TV.  of course if you have a 4K Blu ray player to a 4K TV, then you will really see a difference.

size also matters.  i think at least a 40" TV for 4K TV and you'll see it.  i got a 4K 40".

look for TVs if you need ethernet and or wifi.  how many usb ports you may need.  mine has 3.  one for cable.  one for blu ray, and an additional one.

look for ones with high refresh rate as well.  that way there's less blurriness with high movement screens like you see in some sports and other movies.  it's not really drastic that it's blurry or pixelated, but it's subtle and you could still possibly see it when paying attention.  

if you have a ps4 pro or xbox one x, remember those already play 4k movies and 4k blu ray discs.  so you don't need a separate unit if they're all on the same TV.