How long does an insurance claim take?

I crashed my car 2 weeks ago(not my fault) I called the insurance to make a claim, they gave me the number of the adjuster, but the adjuster hasn’t called us back in a whole 2 weeks and I even left a voicemail. Is this normal or an insurance claim shouldn’t take this long?

Florida 

• car253

If you have collision coverage, then have your auto insurance company pay for your damages.   You don't say if the claim is taking longer because of your auto insurance or the other party's.   I always say let the better company yours or his take care of the damage to your vehicle.    If you have a "save some money" insurance agent or company, you do get what you pay for.   Of course I am more expensive but then I am there when you need me.    Anyways, call and ask for a claim manager.   

Source(s): Expensive insurance agent but I get things done.

It takes as long as it takes.  There's no such thing as an average, even when people tell you there is one.  

Not hearing from the adjuster after two weeks, however, is pretty pathetic on the insurance company's part.  That's why you stop doing it over the phone and resort to the written word.  I've got lots of experience working in insurance, and the written word (even email counts) is way more effective than a phone call.

Get this adjuster's email addy, or get an address for the claims supervisor or manager or whatever, and use that.  On the email (or fax or letter, or however you do it), make a note that a copy is also being sent to your insurance provider.  Trust me, insurance people respond to that stuff.  A person can easily claim that they tried to call you a dozen times and got no answer, but they can't BS their way out of a solid paper trail.  Even if that paper trail is all electronic.  

• car253

Great advice.

What insurance did you call.?  You call YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY, not the other guy and you will be taken care of. Read your insurance policy, read the Driver's Training manual AGAIN.  It is written all there. Otherwise, you are screwing yourself.  No one is looking for you to give you money.  You got to go for it.

It depends 100% on the company.

The General is incredibly slow.

• car253

The General is the worst company in life.   Good luck in EVERY talking to their claim rep.  

• May

This is what happens when you choose insurance that requires you to call an 800 number and/or communicate with a soulless computer rather than a insurance company that has a agent in a local office staffed by humans

Many things are taking longer than normal right now because of the virus. They may not have as many adjusters working as normal or they may be working from home. On the other hand, there is less driving, so there should be fewer accidents.

• TedEx

It sounds like you have your insurance with one of those ''we can save you money"" iinsurance companies.  

You get what you pay for and that includes the quality of claims service

• car253

Absolutely !!

I'd keep on them to get it done - but there's this thing called 'coronavirus' that is f**king with everybody's ability to do stuff, so ...

It is not normal. Call the claims manager for the insurance company you are trying to contact.

Still trying get "Flo" to pay 2 of my mom's hospital bills after a truck smashed into her at a red light after 1.5 years

• car253

Sue the other party in small claims court.   Then "Flo" will pay ASAP.