Jamie
Lv 7
Jamie asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Would a splash of soy sauce liven up a bland vegetable soup or ruin it ?

Or curry powder ?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Id use Worcestershire and or Tabasco. A good old shot of MSG is magic to make anything taste good. Trust me, I'm a scientician.

• Jamie
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I did use Worcesteshire sauce. I didn't make the soup , it was store bought .

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

OMG NO!! You can put a lot of different things in it to make it better. I have used soy sauce and it gives it a really nice flavor, but be careful, it can make it too salty if you put too much.

• 2 months ago

Try a Tablespoon of beef base, and a generous squirt of fish sauce. The beef base will give you a central flavor in the broth, and the fish sauce adds umami.

• IvaB
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Personally speaking,I don't think soy would be very good,and the curry spice powder would be nasty imo. Since the soup is bland,I'd say that it might be lacking salt,for one thing (which soy would provide,but other flavors in the soy may not meld very well with the soup) .Additionally,I would suggest using a "bouquet garnie" with fresh herbs (not powdered) and cook the whole pot for an additional 20/30 mins or so to give the herbs a chance to impart their flavor.As the soup heats,keep checking it for salt,and flavor,adding what you think it needs.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • denise
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It may just make it salty, a little curry powder should give it a warming spice.

• ted
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

A bit of soy sauce will liven the soup

• 2 months ago

soy sauce would add some flavor.  Pretty much what a product called  Kitchen Bouquet or Maggi is. 

There are other things you can add though. 

Depending on they type of soup

Lemon juice

Red wine vinegar

fresh herbs

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I personally wouldn't use soy sauce.

I would probably add some fresh lemon juice and some cayenne pepper.   Clear soups really are much better with a bit of acid and heat.   Soy sauce has neither of those things.  I would have added a bay leaf from the beginning, too.

If you like curry, that would be fine too.  IMO curry goes really well in soups that have vegetables like squash, cauliflower, potatoes, etc.  I'd still add some heat though.  Red chili flakes, chipotle pepper or cayenne...

Does your soup have garlic and onion?   If not, you're doing it wrong.  Hehe  :-)

• 2 months ago

I think it would ruin the vegetable soup if it's a plain vegetable soup however the soy sauce can make the vegetable soup better if the vegetable soup in question has the right ingredients.

What is your favourite vegetable soup? The chilli, hot ones are nice. Spaghetti with vegetable stew is lovely!

• 2 months ago

The soy can't hurt. It's got salt in it too. Did you try just adding salt and some garlic powder? You could also sautee some onions (caramelize them) and then toss those in.

• Jamie
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I put a clove of garlic in . Think i will have a bowl with a bit of soy sauce 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.