Do I have to declare I’ve had a policy cancelled on my next insurance if it was cancelled because my car was written off non fault?

• car253

Your auto insurance does not cancel you when you have a not at fault accident. Not sure what your agent or company did.   I would call and ask them why they cancelled you.   If they ask you tell them the accident was not your fault.   They have access to records so they will know anyways.  

Of course you would declare that.  Remember two things.

First, an insurance policy is a legal contract.  With the exception of a marriage, any legal contract can be voided if any misrepresentation (lying) or non-disclosure (lying by omission) of information happens.

Second, insurance companies don't ask questions they can't get the real answers to.  Ever.  If they ask you for information, they can verify it. 

The type of cancellation you mentioned won't count against you in any way, at least not by itself.  When your vehicle was totalled and not replaced, your insurance company cancelled your policy because you had "no insurable interest" in the vehicle.  I'll bet they even used those quoted words in their letter.  The cancellations that count against you are when you've been cancelled for non-payment, non-disclosure / misrepresentation, or insurance claims fraud.  As long as you're not cancelled for any of those things, it won't affect your eligibility or rates.

• M.

The insurance companies all communicate with esch other.  They know everything about you.

Tell them that you have more money than you need.  They'll take care of you!

They mean "has an insurance company cancelled your policy?".  Your policy wasn't "cancelled". It stopped because of an insured event.

• May

Your insurance wasn't "cancelled" in the sense of the word. It simply wasn't needed any longer because the insured car was written off".

If the policy was cancelled, the policy was cancelled.

Yes. If the application asks it, you have to answer truthfully.

• Barry

Who cancelled it? Normally the insurer keeps it live as they assume you will be buying a new car and continuing to insure with them. If it has been cancelled yes you must answer that if asked. Just make sure it is cancelled as my daughter almost made this error in similar circumstances to yours. She was able to transfer the remainder of the insured term to her new car.

• car253

Your auto insurance does not cancel you when you have a not at fault accident.  Not sure what your agent or company did.