Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentCivic Participation · 2 months ago

Is social distancing just prolonging the inevitable? ?

Just think about it. Most people won't have the chance to stay in doors until this is over. ME included. Well I could but it would probably take every resource I have with my life savings. That's not really an option for most people anyway. They will eventually have to get out to work or get more food, supplies, thus putting them in proximity of others that may have the virus, thus spreading it further. Social distancing works but does everyone do it correctly and exactly the way it works so they don't get the virus? I think not but what do you think? 

I'd imagine that this crisis will change the way a lot of businesses operate. More working remotely for white collar jobs and more automation in the occupations that require physical labor. So if you have the kind of job that requires you to be in a specific place you might want to be looking into some retraining. This could be the thing that makes more stores offer self checkout. Shelves could be stocked by robots, etc. The employment landscape is likely to look very different after this.

No. It doesn't have to work perfectly. It just has to keep the number of patients who are sick at the same time low enough for the hospitals to handle. Stretching it out over more time reduces the peak number of simultaneously infections.

• Troy

It slows it down so everyone doesn't get sick at once and overwhelm the hospitals and other essential resources. That could cause an economic collapse instead of a recession. In addition to shortages of medicine and other healthcare.