Kyle asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 months ago

Will i get the maximum weekly benefit rate for unemployment in C.T if I have been laid off b/c of the coronavirus?

I was laid off from my hourly ($15 an hour) job today because of covid19. They said they will welcome me back when the virus is over. The ct dol website says the maximum weekly benefit rate is $649. (Link above) How do I know if this is exactly what I will be receiving?  

DISCLAIMER: I KNOW THE NEW FED STIMULUS PACKAGE INCLUDES AN EXTRA $600, BUT IM TALKING ABOUT THE INITIAL PAYMENT FROM THE CT DOL

Btw, i dont know if it makes any kind of difference, but my job was in ny and i live in ct

• Eva

You won't be paid more than what your average earnings were at your job. With regular unemployment you would receive about 2/3 of your regular earnings. Under the new bill, you should receive 100%. You're not getting $600 added to that.

• Kyle2 months agoReport

My regular earnings were about 500 a week 

• Judy

No, the amount from CT will be what you would have gotten before covid.

• Kyle2 months agoReport

Which is? 

No, you aren't going to get $649 a week from UI.

If you worked a 40 hour a week job, you would have only earned $600.

If you worked consistently $15 an hour, 40 hours a week during your base period you will get about $276 for 6 months of UI.

Here is the pamphlet with the calculations.

You will file in CT because that is where you live.

The CT UI office will do an interstate claim with NY

Both NY & CT pay $276 if your average quarter is $7200.

• A Hunch

Well since you are earning $276 based on $15 an hour, you would have to be earning about $37.50 an hour or more to the maximum.