Anonymous

I am 23 and have no idea what to do with my life?

I am 23 and currently work in fast food Ii love the job, and always tell myself I’m just focusing on the present in my life whenever “what you want to do in life” comes up in conversation. But every now and then, I get a sick feeling kn my stomach that I will never do anything more with my life than jumping from fast food and retail. I couldnt afford to go to college, I had a terrible time getting through High school and barely graduated at almost 20 after being held back twice. II just cant picture myself going after these big impossible dreams I have. I am actually a very creative person with lots of potential, but every job that I’d love to go into requires college or some sort of training that I cant pay for. When my coworkers ask me what I want to do with my life, I never know what to tell them. I just say I’m working here for now. They give me replied like “What so you just want to work in fast food for the rest of your life like so and so? *points to 52 year old woman manager* I just said no to them, but this really made me feel sick and bad about myself. Because I think I probably will end up like her. I know fast food is still a career, but it just seems to be frowned upon in society. I like my job a lot and am grateful to have one, but I dont know if I will ever amount to anything more than this. I dont have the education or money to go after any dreams I have. This just looks like my future.

• Steve

If you love what you do, you should really think about keeping it. The best job you can ever have is the one that you love going to each and every day. Then it doesnt seem like so much of a job then. Forget about any stigma about working in a fast food place. Your happiness is so much more important than that. Work your way up the ladder. It will happen. Wear a good attitude and smile. That will get you noticed over others. I began working at a school for special needs kids when I was your age. I never thought Id be there 20 years later, but I am at the age of 43. Its just right. I love the kids and most of the staff. The pay isnt the greatest, but thats where the happiness comes in. Im just very happy there and Ive never seriously considered leaving. The happiness is just so more important than whatever extra pay I may can get elsewhere. I dont even have a chance of moving up the ladder because I dont have extra college. You can move up. So, the saying goes that the grass is not always greener on the other side. You love what you do, so the most important part of your working life is taken care of. Dont let people influence you to leave that happiness and forget about any fast food worker stigma. There is nothing embarrassing about working in fast food. Good luck to you in whatever decisions you decide to make in life.

• TedEx

Don't feel bad.   It took me several years after college and the army to find a career which I loved and did well and was paid well. You aren't alone

• ricky

If I were in your shoes, (hopefully there are pools where you live) get a job cleaning pools. If necessary, tell the owner you will work for free for one week. They don’t have to hire you, but you’ll know how to clean pools for a company that is hiring. Once you get that job, learn how to replace motors and the other devices from the technician at that company. When you know how to repair/replace motors, heaters, filter, controllers, and plumbing, you can take (in Texas) the appliance installer test. From there, you can sign up to do work for home warranty companies. They will send you customers that need repairs. Typical call on changing out a 2hp pump/motor, takes about 40 minutes. I’ll make $120 to $180 for that call. A new heater nets me $350, and takes about 3 hours. Since the customer isn’t paying for the equipment, it’s easy to turn them into a “cleaning pool” customer. Then hire more people.

• H

I just turned 28 two weeks ago and I still have no idea what to do with my life lol. Almost done with college. Don't feel bad. 

There are many different paths in life. If it took you until 20 to graduate high school, you may be stuck in food. Do a good job and you can be promoted but much depends on you. Many McDonalds general managers started as hourly employees and now earn $100k+. 

You are going to need a good work ethic if you don't have an education.  That means work harder than others and do a better job.

I was not sure what I wanted to do at 23 either but I had worked myself up to general manager of a pizza hut back before delivery. I dropped out of college when they offered me assistant manager because i was tired of being broke and i was pretty sure I could work my way up to general manager and i did. Took me 9 months of being an assistant.   I had an assistant manager who was not very bright but he did his job ok. Later I hired a college grad who could not find a job for minimum wage figuring he would last a week or two but he surprised me, was not afraid to work and he was smart. So I quickly promoted him to assistant manager and told him I could pretty much guarantee he would be promoted to store manager if he stuck with it, He did it quicker than me. About 5 months.  But, I actively taught him. I did not have that, I had to figure it out on my own.

I saved my money and later started my own business.  Without money and living at home, I would have failed and many do.  If I did, Id probably be an area or regional in food now that I am old if I stayed with it. Pizza Hut was a lot more profitable back before delivery. We made very good pizza and people had to come to us to get it. Now, everybody delivers crappy but cheap pizza and pizza hut is not even close to being a leader anymore.

You know what? There are thousands of people who went to college, got degrees, work in professional environments who aren't working right now and are really glad that fast food employees are still showing up everyday so they don't have to cook for themselves. There is no shame in working fast food and in other labor-intensive careers. My dad worked at McDonald's and had worked up to manager then became a mechanic after going to a short-term trade school. You might decide later in life to return to school, you might decide to do a trade program, you might decide you are very happy working in fast food and wind up a manager or franchise owner. You are young, there are some people who know what they want to do when they are six years old and never deviate from that... whilst the vast majority of us need more time.