Do Westerners sing any song or offer any prayer when the dead is burnt?

At funerals I've attended in a crematorium (in the UK), the body lies in its coffin at the front while a farewell ceremony is conducted, usually with a prayer and the people singing a hymn or two. Or someone with a good voice is asked to sing a song that the deceased loved.

Then the coffin is moved out of sight towards the place where it's to be burned, and we don't see it again; we all get up and walk out of the room and speak to the dead person's family who are usually standing at the door.

After that it's usual to be invited to a reception of some kind, at home or in a hotel or pub.

The ashes are placed in an urn and given to the family much later, a week perhaps.

they might do that

In the western world the dead who are "burnt" are usually cremated in a pretty clinical environment where just a few people are working. In most cases the family can't go in to sing songs.

AC/DC highway to hell

Generally, these things are done at the funeral, where the body might be, or the ashes if it has been cremated.  During a cremation, no.

I'm a Christian. In my particular branch of Christianity and in my side culture... yes. We sing hymns and pray.

I tried singing, "We didn't start the fire" but the looks everyone shot at me shut me up pretty quick...

Source(s): Just as well. Who actually knows the lyrics to that song anyway?

It depends. I'm not sure it's a thing where Americans (of the west) even attend cremation like they do in places like India or Japan. If they did, it would be unique to the people. They'd choose their own songs, prayers, words. But again, I don't think it's something people attend.