How can singers remember the lyrics of all of their songs ?

I'm curious because knowing me I'll end up forgetting everything. 

• Mack

Sometimes they forget

I especially dislike strophic songs, (same melody, but different words each verse). I get the words in each verse mixed up! (Although you could argue there's less information to memorize since the melody is the same each time)… w/e.

The same way you had to remember a speech or poem you read in class, practice! 

Listening to the music (and sometimes reading a score + listening to it)

Reading the score

Writing the lyrics out and reading them separate from the music

Internalizing & interpreting the meaning of the lyrics (making it more relevant and personal)

Practicing memorization of the lyrics (flash cards, blocking the text up into phrase segments and learning the lyrics in smaller more manageable groups)

Practicing different entrances (think of a combination lock for school lockers with 3 digit codes. If you mess up any of them, you have to re-do it starting from the beginning. Kind of similarly, if you only practice reciting the song from the beginning, if you mess up you're likely to try and zip through the entire song to get back to the point where you messed up. Ideally, you practice in smaller segments and should be comfortable starting anywhere, so you could start the lyrics mid sentence, or if you messed up you could at least come back more easily rather than replaying the entire lyrics in your head to get to where you just were.

Audiating it (THINKING it, not actually speaking it, good for on the go)

I've 'studied' probably 70 songs. (I know more, but 70 that I've studied and would sing). (I'm young and this is by no means impressive.). I sure as hell don't remember the words to every single one of these. I have to remind myself based on what I am doing.

I have a recital coming up, so I'm focusing more on 12 songs for that. 3 songs are new that I'm learning just for fun. So keeping track mentally of 15 songs rather than every song I've sung. If I want to use one of the ones I've learned, I go back, check, and practice to make sure I've still got it secure. 

• TB12

Repetition, sing the song over and over enough times and it becomes second nature, just like the way anybody remembers anything about their jobs.

• Jill

I remember the lyrics to hundreds of songs. How? I don't know. I sing along and somehow they get stored in my brain. Often someone will be just talking and will say something that jogs a memory of a song lyric and I can hear the song in my head instantly. 

Singers do rehearse their songs over and over so would just memorize them. When they forget it's usually because they are distracted or "foggy". 

• Barry

It has been known for performers to forget the words especially singing live on air. Probably too much booze or drugs.