Are more and more people buying SUV's/Crossovers rather than Sedans? Why?

it seems like on the road, there are Civics and Camry's but that is about it from what I see, most are driving crossovers or pickups, the minivan is slowly dying as well.

Are SUV's better than Sedans? I mean some people say they like crossovers because you are seated higher, there is more space making it more comfortable, and it just feels more luxurious for the passengers.

Yeah there are a lot of Sedans for Civics and Camry and some for BMW Benz and Audi and Acura and Lexus but not many Chevy or Ford sedans

• F

Image . People like the image of a big SUV but not the running costs, so they get something a bit smaller and 2 wheel drive.

Also people have stopped enjoying driving so a sedan that perform and handles well is not important to them , preferring the space and comfort of their pseudo suv to play with their gadgets.

• Phil M

People usually buy the vehicle they need. For many an SUV is just what they need. For me, a pickup is better than a sedan. If my life changes, I may reconsider my needs. I don't worry about what others are driving.

After the stupid car manufacturers settled billions of dollars of settlements for dangerous poorly constructed SUV's, not following their own engineers directions, they had to lower the center of gravity back to something like an old school station wagon to make them safe to drive. They resemble something in-between so that the yuppy scum blend in with their clan who wouldn't dare drive a sedan.

• Ron

That Nissan Rogue you drive is one such example

many are all wheel drive

• Scott

Small SUV/crossover vehicle are more practical for a lot of people. Why does this seem to bother you?

• Barry

In the UK and Europe we mostly buy hatchbacks followed by MPVs. Some still buy saloons (sedans) but a large hinged tailgate has become the norm.

• Jay P

Yes, it is happening and the sales statistics show it.  SUV's and crossovers are now more popular than cars.

Are they better?  That depends on your definition of "better".  You already mentioned it but one thing people like is the higher seating position and the more commanding view of the road that position brings.  

But trends come and go within the automotive field.  Whether the current trend continues in the future or if sedans and coupes will make a comeback remains to be seen.

All they are making for the command person....

Don't take my toilet paper.