How to claim ownership of an older vehicle?

Ok so i have a 1973 ford f600 in my back yard. It used to belong to my grandpa but then he died 10 years ago and my distant uncle recieved everything in his will, but he never registered the vehicle with the dmv so the vehicle hasnt been registered at all in 10 years. Im trying to take ownership of the vehicle but he is impossible to contact and the vehicle has been on my property this whole time. Is there any way i can claim ownership of this vehicle without involving him since he has basically abandoned it? I have the vin number and previous registration information and i live in california please help.

This may be one of those case-by-case situations the DMV assigns a supervisor (or regional manager, or whatever) to, which means you'll be left hanging in paperwork-limbo and technical hell for god knows how long.

The easy way is to contact your uncle, the legal owner, and have him sign the vehicle over to you.  Get a replacement title printed if you have to.

The previous registration (or lack thereof) doesn't matter.  The document that counts is the title.  Even if you haven't spoken to your uncle in the last decade and don't know where to look for him, it's still going to be easier than applying to the DMV for an exception.  Those people can wait a long, long time before making a decision.

• May

Ask your local authorities if you can claim ownership under abandoned property laws.  In my experience it is a long drawn out procedure and more often than not, the local jurisdiction takes ownership anyway.  It may be worth a try though,

WHERE?  In MY State you can notify your uncle that he has 30 days to remove the vehicle or it will become your property.

You send the notification to his last known address.

After 30 days you go to DMV and ask for assistance in obtaining title.

• Dylan2 months agoReport

i already said that i live in california and i was hoping for something faster

• Bill

You can get a replacement title from the DMV.  Getting it reassigned to you is the problem.  Call the DMV and see what they say to do.  I don't think you can take possession without involving your uncle.    

• Dylan2 months agoReport

thats basically how i see it but im hoping theres something i missed

• k w

just apply for a 'lost title'....