Can someone report your car stolen after you pick it up from their house?

I'm in my late twenties and I own a car. My name is on both the title and the insurance policy. Earlier this week, I moved out of my parents house and, of course took my car with me. They have been very abusive towards and have a history of stalking me and lying about me being mentally ill, so I'm currently trying to avoid any form of with them. This morning, my dad texted me threatening to report my car stolen if I didn't contact them.

Can he legally do this?

Not if you are on the title as the owner the police are not going to pursue car theft charges against you.

A false Police Report is a felony.  Yes, your father CAN report a car TITLED IN HIS NAME as stolen.

Titled in your name?  No.

If his name is not on the title, he cant report it as stolen. Only the owner of the car can do that

• Eva

Is the car registered in your name? If so, it's an empty threat.

Can he legally say what he actually did say? I believe he can. Can he legally report the car stolen? Not if he knows that it wasn't. That would be a false police report, which is a crime. And if it causes you legal harm, to your reputation or false arrest, then you could sue him for damages.

• KaleyK

As others have pointed out, if your name is on the title then you are a legal owner of the vehicle.  You cannot be charged with a crime.  Also, it doesn't matter if other names are on the title, as long as your name is also on the title.

Who might be in legal trouble is your father.  If he files a police report while knowing that you are an owner of the property, he could be charged with filing a false police report.  While that is unlikely, you might point that out to your father.

• y

Your name is on the title, which means you are the owner. They can call all they want, you may even be pulled over, but as long as that title is in your name, nothing will come of it.

Sure they can, but then you can simply show the police that you own the car. they can't arrest you for taking your own car. LOL

Is his name on the title. If he’s not on the title then he doesn’t own the car. Even if he reports it stolen, all you need to do is to show the title that you’re the sole owner of the car so it’s not stolen.