Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Is it weird for A 23/24 year old to live with their parents still?

Is it weird for A 23/24 year old to live with their parents still if they are saving to buy their own house? It is common? How old were you when you moved out?

it is really good if the parents are kids are living together even if they have grow old as well.

I was that age while working part time and going to graduate school. Then I got a fulltime job and moved out.

• April

I was 23. I moved out after I graduated from college. It was time to go get a life. I also got married at that time. We didn't buy a house until I was 25.

• n2mama

I don’t think it’s weird, a lot of adults in their 20s live at home. Personally, I was living on my own at 22, had finished my masters degree and had a job. 

For the record, I’m Gen X, not a Boomer.

Nothing weird about this. It may be a cultural thing. In the Hispanic culture when I was your age it was considered normal for one to live at home w/ their parents until they married. Of course it was also understood that everyone did their part to support the family. The family unit is/ was very important. 

No, it is perfectly fine and normal. 

I moved out when I was 21 - nearly 22 - years old to start a family of my own. My ex at the time was in his 30's and before we moved to our new place together (note: which was rented) we had to live back at my mum's for three months, due to the landlord selling up my ex's previously rented house. 

I'm now 25 with two children (and unemployed) and am temporarily living back with my mum and sister.

There is no "normal" and in today's climate there isn't the job security like there used to be. It is harder to save now-a-days too. You are doing very well at what you are doing, so be proud of where you are. It is great that you are able to save to buy a house - I haven't been able to as of yet, but in the future I'd like to. We all are at different stages in our lives and it isn't right nor wrong where you are. 

If it works for that family, there isn't anything especially weird about it.

• edward

Not in 2020. The younger kids these days are such babies. The gays have more rights than everyone else, the girls are angry about something all the time, there are so many things now that didn’t exist before. I was self sufficient at 18 and an adult while kids the same age as me are complaining about the bills they can’t afford and looking for subsidies from the government to pay them. This was before COVID-19. I mean...get it together. Put your big girl/boy pants on and get a grip!

Not if you're working or attending grad school, or both, on a full time basis. There's nothing strange about it.

Not weird for 2020 at all. Try to have your own place by 27, not least because it stresses parents if you don't and stops you from developing into a functional adult. They're getting older and need their life back while they're still able to enjoy it.