Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 2 months ago

left side of stethoscope no sound?

I have an MDF single head stethoscope, I am only able to hear sounds out of the right ear piece. (yes it is facing the right way) Why could this be and how do i fix it?

Make sure that, during use, the left earpiece isn't falling out of your ear while using the instrument. If you find out that this has, indeed, been happening, simply glue it in your ear, or wrap some masking-tape around your head. Hope this helped.

• Tulip

Check the ear piece for wax or dirt you are supposed to clean those.

It's a very simple system.  The stethoscope head is a simple diaphragm (like a drum head) and the tubing is hollow. Sound is transmitted by air pressure. Really not much can go wrong except an air leak or blockage. Try swapping ears just to verify that it's not hearing loss in in one of your ears.  If it still is working only in one earpiece, then there's either a blockage or air leak in that side. I'd suggest that you pull the stethoscope head off and blow out the tubing.  Then plug both earpieces (or block them with your thumbs) and blow into the end.  Make sure there are no air leaks and then that there is air pressure at each ear.

• Tommymc

Excuse me..... moron? Full of wax would be a blockage....one of the causes I suggested. Sorry I didn't specify "wax" blockage.

Have you had your hearing checked recently?