Why am I supposed to complete this 2020 census? I mean, didn't I just do one of these things like a year ago? Why send another one?

The one I did last year said "Response required by law," too. Took me 1/2 hour at the kitchen table. Now they want more? What gives?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Don't know what you filled in last year, but it wasn't the national census form. That went out just this year and takes about ten minutes at most to fill in.

You got scammed buddy.

• Upton Bitme2 months agoReport

Maybe it was a STATE census. Is there such a thing? The additional questions were about estimate of home's value. Square footage. Property tax... too, I think. ???

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

If you answered any question aside from "How many people live at this address?" you got scammed.  The federal government has no Constitutional excuse for asking anything else.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Whatever it was wasn't the census.  That only takes place every 10 years in years ending in 0.

• Judith
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No you didn't do this a year ago.  The Federal Census is done once every 10 years.  The information on the census determines how many representatives each state gets in the US House of Representatives.  It is mandated by federal law and has been since the first census was taken in 1790.

I did mine online and it didn't even take 10 minutes - more like 5.

A small percentage of Americans will receive a long-form census; perhaps you are one of them.  What else do you have to do with your time anyway?  Just complete it.  The information is useful.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • audrey
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

They must have sent you a longer form. Took me 5 minutes.

• John
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

The census is held every 10 years, US Constitution and not an amendment.

• 2 months ago

All they ask is your address, name, age, sex and race. That took you 1/2 hour to answer? 

• ...Show all comments
    • random_man
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

You must be talking about something else. Not the US Census. https://2020census.gov/en/about-questions.html?cid=20002:%2Bus%20%2Bcensus:sem.ga:p:dm:en:&utm_source=sem.ga&utm_medium=p&utm_campaign=dm:en&utm_content=20002&utm_term=%2Bus%20%2Bcensus

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.