Who could have been at fault if it a car was hit by a semi truck?

I live in Southeast Georgia. One day I dropped my boyfriend off to work. It was a 45 minute drive. The highway doesn't have many street lamps, most of your light come from your headlights. On my way back home, I got on the highway. I started on the right lane, moved my way to the left lane. I realized there was more semis driving that day, going way faster than my speed. So instead of them skipping over to the right then the left. I switched to the slow lane. Now the speed limit is 60mph. I was going 65mph. About 25-30 minutes into the drive, a semi gets on the highway & drives behind me but then switched to the left lane. (Side note: cops have stopped and parked on the side. One day my boyfriend was going 70mph on a 60, I guess the cop wasn't liking it and flashed his light as a warning.) Now because of that, I decided 65mph was good. I stayed on the right lane, because it is the slow lane and for those who are close to their exit. I was 10-15 minutes away from my exit. The semi never sped & barely made it up to my speed. From the side I see the very beginning of the hood and notice how it started getting to close to the door. I slam on my breaks & drive into the emergency lane & into a small ditch. When I slammed my breaks is when I noticed his turn signal. I've driven on bigger highways, if a driver was ever being too slow, they'd speed, go on the left lane then switch back. How can you avoid getting hit when you're stuck between a speeding ticket or slowing down traffic? 

I am still trying to figure out what you mean by "breaks".

You are speculating about something THAT DID NOT HAPPEN.

You would be at fault.  Truck drivers do not whip in and out between traffic .  They drive a single lane and pretty steady rate of speed and plan all their moves as the route is repetitive for them.

You missed the part in your driver's training manual that says "between the lines" if it is a BIG MOTHER OF A TRUCK..."they always got the right of way".  Big trucks can't just switch lanes back and forth like a car, so they stick to one lane.Exits happen on both sides of the road ...Left lane or Right lane.  

The semi driver was probably getting to make an exit to the Left.  WHY you even looked to see him(whether it was out of the corner of your eye or your side view mirror is irrelevant....why you slammed on the brakes "is interesting to the truck driver" (as the truck driver was prepared for any insanity coming from the car driver")& driving into the ditch was showing off on your part.  You were not in his blind spot as he saw the roof of your car by his fender, he was signalling other traffic of his future intentions.  You are not used to big trucks beside you.  That is obvious. Had you maintained your speed he would have worked his vehicle in behind yours as his exit approached...meaning he would have to slow down some by letting off the accelerator...to merge into that lane behind you if you happened to be going down the same road or not...but he had to get into the Right lane because the exit is on the right side.  

The signal light was not so much for you but for other vehicles following for they would know what the truck driver was planning to do.

BUT YOUR CAR WAS NOT HIT BY THE SEMI TRUCK.  YOU DID A SELF DESTRUCTION THING ALL BY YOURSELF.  That is your problem as you did you. No contact...all you and inexperience.

Now you know, because there will always be a "next time"

Report it to your insurance, they will pay for any damage you did to the semi.  You are at fault.

In answer to your question. You were at fault.

You're in the blind spot when right next to the truck. The turn signal is asking for the lane, not demanding it. You put your car out of control, slamming on the brake. I would have sped up to move ahead of the truck and clear the lane. As far as running off the road is concerned, you did that out of panic.

Since you are incapable of applying logic and common sense to that situation and either speed up or slow down temporarily, just go to the nearest DMV right now and surrender your license. We'll all be safer if you do.  And learn the difference between BRAKES and breaks.

.

FAIL

• Scott

Brakes, not breaks. You could have omitted half your short story and just left the pertinent details. The semi would have been at fault for unsafe lane change.

NEVER ever slam on your brakes on the highway, especially if any other vehicles are behind you. You are inviting an accident. I can tell, you are an inexperienced driver and have lots to learn. 

To get through your long winded story, it would have been the semi's fault.  They were changing lanes, it's their responsibility to ensure they can do it safely.

• audrey

Please stop driving. You're a horrible driver.