Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

I'm don't know what I want to major in and yet I'm going to be a junior. Feeling scared?

In Fall 2020, I'm going to a junior in college as a transfer from community college with an associate degree in general studies. When I applied to the university, I picked accounting for my major. Now I'm unsure if I want to continue accounting because the reason why I picked it is because I've always loved math while growing up. Now I have a slight interest in criminology because the though of solving crime fascinate me. Now I'm afraid that what if I don't like my accounting major and will have to stick to it forever and that's what terrify me the most. Going after for something I thought I was going to like. Now I can't decided between accounting or criminology. I feel like time is running out to decide and I don't feel confident at all with my decision. Help!

An accounting degree can be combined with criminology in a career such as forensic accounting. The FBI prefers its agents to have a background in accounting, law or a language they need. After all, it was the accountants that came up with the evidence against Al Capone -- they nailed him for tax evasion. So take a criminology class when you get to the university, but accounting is a much more useful major.

Could you get a minor in criminology? That way you can still do accounting because it's the best bet for a job, and also match your interests.

• cool

Stick with accounting. It's boring, but it is more likely to lead to a job.

• John

Speaking as an accountant, a love of math will not necessarily carry you through a career.  While accountants deal with numbers constantly, its much more about knowing what the numbers mean, their relationship to each other, and where they go.  Most of the math in accounting is not high level. Still, you might want to look into the career path for a forensic accountant.  Forensic accounting is a specialty which is often used by law enforcement and the courts, in both criminal and civil cases.  

If you're too far along just finish out what you're taking first. You can always take Criminology ONLY courses later.

You're doing life wrong. College is an item you purchase for a reason. U need to slow tf down. If you're not sure u want to be an accountant, why would u spend 2 years and thousands of dollars on a purchase you don't know that you want?

It's ok to take a break - "But that sounds scary too! How will I find a decent job in the meantime? How will I know I'll be able to get back into college?"

Job - ask around. Search online. Talk to ppl u know.

How will u know you'll get back to college? - This is a profitable narrative fed to kids. If you want to take a break and get back to college in a year or 3, you will be able to.

If you really wanna stay in college - consider 2 things: you can change majors or get another degree later; and you still have time to figure it out. Look up what each major and job is like. Talk to family and friends and professionals - everybody has a perspective and it's often worth hearing them; friends and family aren't just for fun - they're for counsel.

Nice. You have a good problem to have. You have options. Now, look at those options. You could do something in crime scene investigations or you could become an accountant. You could research everything that comes along both these paths. That's what I'd do. Then, you could write a pros and cons list and figure this thing out like a math problem!

• Stella

Of the two I'd stick with accounting.

Criminology doesn't really lead to job opportunities.

Maybe look into forensic accounting.

Major in one , minor in the other.  Students often change their major (at least they used to when I was going to college.) 

Thank goodness I'm just gonna be a junior in High school