What are your opinions on vehicles with stick shifters on the column (also known as 3 on the tree).?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Barry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

They tend to be problematic. A cable in the system is prone to stretching and loosening. There is less 'feel' than a stick on the floor. Even stick shifts with rods and joints are superior. But nothing beats direct into the 'box.

• 2 months ago

1952 Mercury, 3 speed with a flathead V8.....car I learned to stickshift in back in 1961.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • fuzzy
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Most of them did NOT use a cable, rather mechanical links that can wear over time & need minor adjustment. One link controlled by movement up & down the column moved between the selector forks within the gearbox, the other link (moving parallel with the wheel) moved the selected fork to engage the desired gear. Dont think there have been any new models out since the late 60s. ( There were also 4 on the tree by a number of manufacturers)

• 2 months ago

My first car was a 57 Chevy with a 3 on the tree.  They are easy to drive but there is much more linkage between the shifter and transmission.  Today because of steering column locks and it actually being cheaper and easier to put it on the floor that's where they are put.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

They totally suck but that's what the world lived with for a long time.

• 2 months ago

They are fun to drive in older classic cars.

My 1952 Dodge truck had a 3 speed tranny and shifted on the column. Wish I still owned it.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Bill
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

I learned to drive at age 11 in my grandfathers 49 Dodge truck. Job Rated. 

• 2 months ago

I had one. A 1952 Chevy sedan. Floor shifters are better. All the linkage from shifter to tranny has been eliminated.

• 2 months ago

Nostalgic feelings, I suppose.  At the time I could not wait to get hold of a '4 on the floor'.  But now it is just  a reminder of 'the good ol' days'.    

• arther
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

yesterdays technology hopefully I never drive one again 3 on the tree no syncro on first old and slow.  

• Anton
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Fabulous anti-theft device.

Even if a kid knew clutch, he would have never done a column shift.

• arther
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

what rubbish one of our paddock cars is 3 on the tree HT holden the boys drive it all right. Same as any thing else get in find the gears same H pattern as every other car.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.