Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Has anybody had their children placed with the other parent through a court order? How long did it take to get some custody back?

Hi,

I'm a mum to a three year old little boy and a six month old baby girl. My life has been so painful since my daughter was born - she had to leave hospital and go to live with her dad and brother, whilst I was ordered to live with my mum.  

My children are subject to an Interim Care Order. To begin with I had contact with my children in a contact centre and since I've had contact with them through family supervised contact. I gave up my flat for their dad (my ex) and our children to continue to reside in as my ex was not listed on the "tenancy".

What made things come to a head were the disclosures I made during my pregnancy regarding thoughts to harm my son (in which I falsely wrote in letters I'd "acting on them" due to OCD intrusive thoughts). 

Drawing from what the court-ordered psychologist concluded (she doesn't think it would be in the children's best interests to return into my care full-time and for me to get help/therapy), the social have come up with the plan (to put before the final court hearing next month) of a Child Arrangements Order; for DS and DD to be placed with their dad for the foreseeable future; and for me to have continued flexible family supervised contact with them. 

In the future I can apply to court again, as I want my children to grow up with a more normal family dynamic of sleeping over at their mum's sometimes etc. 

Anecdotally, have you got any hope/advice for me?

Thanks.

Nope because not matter what went on with me I took care of my kids so that no one has to intervene on their behalf. 

• martin

The family courts try to do what is in the interests of the children, not the parents. Keep trying to work on the points made by the judge in the custody order. As you improve on those points, custody should come more and more into your hands.

Every case is different. Ask your social worker or lawyer.