Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 2 months ago

Help! I'm not sure if I have bacterial or yeast vaginal infection?

I'm 24 and I'm very itchy down there and recently it has gotten worse. I do everything to keep it clean. I wash it with vaginal wash twice a day, wear cotton undies etc. It just keeps getting worse. Worse to the point that now I'm itching everywhere (even toward my clith region).

My country is on lockdown due to covid19 so I cannot go out. I wanted to try the home remedies mentioned on sites. But I cannot treat for yeast if I happen to have bacterial vag and vice versa. How can I figure it out?

I'm not sexually active. The last I've had sex was 7 months ago. Since then, I've got myself tested for STD/I s. I don't have any. 

These are my symptoms:

1) I have white clumpy almost dry crumbled cheese like discharge (not stretchy at all). It sometimes appear brownish and sometimes cheesy in color.

2) I do not have a fishy smell but more like an strong onion smell. So I cannot really pin point if it's bacterial.

3) It gets worse at night, specially when I've fully slept. I wake up in the middle of the night extremely itchy. And it's not just concentrated in my vaginal area but my whole private part and outside.

4) I do not have any burning sensation during urination. But I did try using oregano essential oil with coconut and it burnt me.

I always apply tea tree oil directly before going to bed but it is not working at all.

It only keeps getting worse. 

I desperately need help. Lockdown is for another month!  Please anybody?

Update: I've stopped using essential oils. I put a drop on my fresh panties instead.

I've started washing with just plain water. (The soap is really hard to skip because I've always grown up washing my privates with soap). I've also tried a baking soda and acv bath.Unfortunately I do not get vagistat/monostat/vagisil here. And they wouldn't give me the medicine miconazole without prescription. So hard luck on the medicines.However, that all being said. I itch less now. Thank you so much!

sounds like a yeast infection. the same has been happening to me for the past couple of days. in the beginning it was super irritated and itchy but as time went by it got better. it has a yeasty smell especially after i just wake up in the morning. the only thing i do is wash once a day with plain hot water when i shower. don’t over wash! that’ll just cause more irritation. i know it’s hard to not scratch down there but i promise you the less you touch it, the faster it’ll go away even without treatment. you can also try yogurt it’ll help. 

• Elle

**Vaginal Discharges

Bacterial vaginosis, aka: Gardnerella occurring symptoms include a fishy odor that worsens during menstruation or after vaginal sex. (In the vagina it does not stink, but when the bacteria comes out it mixes with the air and a chemical reaction occurs causing it to stink). In bacterial vaginosis, discharge can appear thin, gray, or white, increase in volume, and is adherent. IT IS NOT AN STD. It will not go away until you get Flagyl from your doctor.

** In a vaginal yeast infection (candidiasis), abnormal discharge may be accompanied with itching, burning and swelling. In yeast infections, discharge is described as resembling cottage cheese. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/sexplanations/videos SEXPLANATIONS

I wish you wellness...

If you can't go at least call the doctor. But I am sure in case of emergency a doctor will still be able to see you. You should be able to travel to a pharmacy and pick up some OTC medication.like monistat or vagisil or whatever is appropriate

Sounds very much like a yeast infection. Doctors are still seeing patients- go to one of the clinics in the drug stores. Or buy an anti-yeast medication and try it. If your symptoms improve, that's what it is. It won't hurt you to use it even if the infection is something else. But not all yeast infections are knocked out by those drugstore treatments. 

Stop using essential oils immediately. Im not sure where you live, but i recommend going outside to the pharmacy and getting either monostat/vagistat 1, 7 or 3. Longer treatment is usually better. Follow the directions and it usually comes with a tiny cream, which you can apply outside down there. Only the suppositories go inside (they work like tampons, be careful). when you shower, try to run water over it for a minute or 2. Dont use any washes down there, as it could be disrupting balance, or even causing the problem.

If this doesnt work, email your doctor, because you may need something like antifungal pills or bacterial vagenosis pills. 

"I wash it with vaginal wash twice a day,"

This is why you itch. STOP DOING THAT. NEEEEEEEEEEEEVER put anything inside. Take a shower and use soap normally on the outside like the rest of your body. Then moisturize.

• Tulip

The pointless vaginal wash is probably the problem. STOP

• Tavy

Stop puttting anything down there, only wash with warm water, and go to a pharmacy.

It sounds like you have both. Go to the pharmacy get a tube of Vagisil. Until you can go to the doctor before it gets worse

• MissA

Sounds like a yeast infection rather than BV

Yeast infection: Thick, cottage-cheesy discharge, not necessarily any odor, often VERY itchy.

Bacterial vaginosis: Usually thin grey/yellow discharge, foul odor, may or may not include itching but usually does.

Don't just put random bs essential oils on your body and expect them to work. They can absolutely give you chemical burns which, by damaging the tissues in your vagina, make things worse. Essential oils smell nice but are not medicine. BUY MEDICINE. (here in the US this is usually going to be miconazole or clotrimazole). Pay the premium to have it shipped, or count it as your "necessary visit" to the grocery or drug store.