Engine cover purpose?

Was looking at buying a full aluminum cover for my focus st. Oem is plastic and i've heard of problems regarding overheating. Not taking it to the track and i live in Co so doesnt get ridiculously hot. Any real pros or cons? Obviously just doing it for looks

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

It'll just make your engine bay look nicer. Chances are it won't help much with cooling. Maybe a little... but its a cosmetic mod for sure.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Ya, those stupid items were added to jack up labor costs when you had them serviced for something under the hood. Liability part. They discovered that a lot of the seals and gaskets, like intake manifold gaskets and such, didn't like the extra heat those "covers" captured while old school engines had better air flow around the engine. Take it off and hang it on your wall as a, "monument to engineering stupidity".

• Dan
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

"those stupid items were added to jack up labor costs" - wrong

• Dan
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

If you're talking about the plastic dress up cover that sits on top of the engine but doesn't do anything except have a name or logo on it, it's useless. The supposed purpose is to limit engine noise into the car. If it were my car I'd take it off and I have done so. They tend to hold heat close to the top of the engine and this is known to cook coil packs. Removing it will allow the heat to flow much more easily away, an aluminum cover will cause problems too. Nothing at all is best.

• arther
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

waste of time and money don't bother. Its an ugly engine no alloy rocker cover will help it will still be ugly.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The purpose is to keep the coil packs dry. Aluminum or plastic should work as well depending on their shapes.

• Dan
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

The purpose is to block noise, not water.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you know the hood is going to be open a lot, you might want to spend your money on parts that do more than look cool.

• ...Show all comments
    • F
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

Mmmm don’t know if that engine will safely go much higher. The new one is 2.3 and 280bhp.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I want to know where you heard of these "problems"!

• Jacob2 months agoReport

Couple forums on reddit

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You are investing money in auto parts for a Ford Focus??????? You want to try to make a Focus look cool????

ROFL!!!!!

• Jacob2 months agoReport

Im rocking over 300 horsepower rn dawg

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.