Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Can I swap out corn syrup in a recipe with real maple syrup?

I will NEVER use corn syrup, ever. Is maple syrup an ok substitute or would honey be better?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Most definitely I'll HARDLY EVER implement hammer toe syrup, ever in your life. Is without a doubt walnut syrup a powerful o. k. alternate and would most likely darling end up more desirable?

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

I would like to know what your "never...ever" is all about, but to give you an accurate answer, we would need to know what you're trying to make.  

For some things, maple syrup would work, for other things, it wouldn't.  

• 2 months ago

Maple syrup would be fine. Honey would be okay if you add a bit less. Maple syrup will change the taste of the finished item a bit, but it works just great as a substitute. 

• denise
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Maple syrup would be ok, it will just be a little more smokey / caramelly tasting.

Honey would give a more subtle taste. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You can make an acceptable syrup to replace corn syrup

2 Cups sugar

3/4 Cup water

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

2 Tb lemon juice

pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. 

Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Place a lid on the pan for about 2 minutes (condensation will rinse sugar crystals off the sides of the pan)

Remove lid and continue to boil, do not stir, until mixture reaches 230 Degrees F.

This will make about 2 cups and will keep 3 months. 

The idea behind using corn syrup is to help prevent sugar in something like fudge and other candy like caramels, lollipops and the like from crystallizing.  Since this substitute is made with sugar it will not help prevent crystallization. 

• 2 months ago

You can and people will probably notice the upgrade .. Corn syrup has an industrialized taste

• 2 months ago

I'll never move into a black neighborhood but we both have our prejudiced. The answer is, "depends" on exactly what you're trying to do. You can't get HFCS, you get corn syrup in stores. If you look at some sodas now, they list ingredients as corn syrup and glucose rather than HFCS because that's what it is. Maple syrup and corn syrup or my answer to the question, simple syrup are all the same thing, sugar water with most of the water boiled out.

Simple syrup, table sugar and water, will be the most taste neutral as opposed to maple.

• 2 months ago

What are you trying to make?

• 2 months ago

Depends what you're making. In some recipes, corn syrup is there to stop crystallization of sugar. Maple syrup won't do that and neither will honey.

• 2 months ago

Cooking honey makes it toxic.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.