Anonymous

Where on a resume should I include relevant volunteer experience? ?

I recently graduated college and only have two past paid work experiences on my resume. So I am currently unemployed. In the midst of looking for a job in my field, I have been volunteering at a non-profit doing data entry and statistical analysis. 

Should I create a separate section for relevant volunteer experience or add it to my work experience section?

I google and find different responses so I wanted another opinion.  

Thanks!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In the same section as experience, but be sure to specify it was volunteer not paid employment. If you make a separate volunteer section, some employers won't read it.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Joe
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

First off: doing volunteer work that's relevant to your career path is the best thing you could be doing right now.  Excellent.

Because it's on-target, include it in the work experience section.  Don't conceal anything: note that it's volunteer work somewhere.

Later on in your career, you can move it to an "Other Relevant Experience" section, somewhere near the bottom.  But, for right now, keep it in the career path section.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i would just put it with the work experience and say youre volunteering there

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.