Anonymous

Where on a resume should I include relevant volunteer experience? ?

I recently graduated college and only have two past paid work experiences on my resume. So I am currently unemployed. In the midst of looking for a job in my field, I have been volunteering at a non-profit doing data entry and statistical analysis. 

Should I create a separate section for relevant volunteer experience or add it to my work experience section?

I google and find different responses so I wanted another opinion.  

Thanks!

• Judy

In the same section as experience, but be sure to specify it was volunteer not paid employment. If you make a separate volunteer section, some employers won't read it.

• Joe

First off: doing volunteer work that's relevant to your career path is the best thing you could be doing right now.  Excellent.

Because it's on-target, include it in the work experience section.  Don't conceal anything: note that it's volunteer work somewhere.

Later on in your career, you can move it to an "Other Relevant Experience" section, somewhere near the bottom.  But, for right now, keep it in the career path section.

i would just put it with the work experience and say youre volunteering there