Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

How can I train my dog to stay?

Again, part of the Basic Obedience course.

Start with something more simple like sit & down. Once dogs understands those it is EASIER to get a dog to STAY in one of those positions than if standing. You can google how to do it, go to youtube for visual instructions or pick up any BOOK on dog training. I do not know why you'd ask, you've been SPAMMING the dog board with "how-tos" in dog training......... for weeks

• Angel

go to you tube, type in “How to train a dog to stay”. Watch the video and follow the instructions.

It takes patience and many many times repetitions, most dogs will learn it in one day but it takes them a few days to memorize the word or signal that you use to trigger the action you wish them to do. If your dog does not get it at first, practice, practice, practice. Sessions should be short. No more than 10 to 15 minutes for an adult, but you can do several sessions a day. Same for pups, 5 minute sessions a couple times a day.