Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 2 months ago

Why do people think people were racist back then?

All of the stories you people hear are fake, I was married to a black woman in the 1970s, she was from Jamaica and our neighbors loved her and were never racist, even with me being a white man married to her. She died in 1978 at only 27 years old, otherwise I would have still been married to her! I was married to her for 5 years when I was in my 20s!

Some people were against racism, that is the reason it is not a thing anymore, they won the war basically. Think about slavery. Is that not inherently racist? We enslaved an entire race just because of the color of their skin. Slaves were mistreated, not paid for their work, breed and sold like dogs, and even killed for fun. The 1970s was definitely different than the 1870s where slaves were freed, but did not know it. By the 1970s, there has been like 6 civil rights acts passed and 100 years of a society breaking away from racism. I was not alive in the 1970s so I can not say for sure what it was like living in that era, but I can say for certain that racism has been declining drastically ever since the Great Depression. The 13th, 14th, 15th, 19th, and 24th amendments were passed all before or during 1970. All of these aided and reduced racism by giving African Americans rights.