Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 2 months ago

Will unripe tomatoes ripen in the Sun?

I have two tomato plants that are on the verge of death due to it being Autumn in Australia. But there's heaps of unripe tomatoes, will they ripen if I leave them in the Sun

I usually pick them all and place them inside on table, no sun, and they ripen over time.  Then we use them or boil for a few minutes, peel and freeze.

The best way to ripen a tomato is by pulling up the entire plant, and hanging it upside down outside (under shelter--i.e. shed or garage)--roots and all. Tomatoes (and other fruit) ripen in the DARK--not in the sunlight. You can keep unpicked green tomatoes this way for a long time. Might as well get as much use as you can from them. 

Place two or three unripe tomatoes in a brown paper bag with an apple, and roll the top closed. As the apple continues to ripen in the bag, it naturally produces ethylene gas, a plant hormone responsible for the ripening process. The gas trapped in the bag will cause the tomatoes to ripen

I've done it without the apple, too, and it works. I never got as good results without it.

Yes They will. .....

Yes. I often saw green tomatoes sitting in my grandmother's kitchen window sill. [Caveat: these were natural (heirloom) tomatoes, not hybrids.]