Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 2 months ago

Smoked heavily unaware I was pregnant for 8 weeks, Will this effect the baby?

I found out I was pregnant a week ago, i'm currently 9 weeks pregnant due to stress around what was happening in my life I smoked extremely heavily during the time I was unaware around 10-15 cigarettes a day (awful I know)

I'm 22 years old and I don't drink other than smoke, I have stopped completely since finding out but I am worried I have already caused damage after reading online it can cause babies to be deformed or even die during birth when you smoke after 5 weeks

I'm not sure how entirely true this is and I just wanted any advice from someine who has been in a similar situation that have stopped and experience a healthy birth 

• Edna

Back in the day when I was pregnant (in the early 1960's), we were never warned against smoking cigarettes while pregnant. Almost EVERYBODY in those days smoked. 

My friends and I all smoked at least 1/2 pack of cigarettes every day while we were pregnant. None of our babies were born deformed and none died during birth - all our babies were born healthy.

Obviously, what you read online (that smoking can cause babies to be deformed or die during birth if you smoke after 5 weeks) must be somewhat  incorrect.

It never done my baby any harm when I was pregnant although I had terrible sickness all through the pregnancy and my daughter went on to have 2 kids of her own and smoked during pregnancy and had 2 healthy kids

• Etta

Long time ago I was a heavy smoker and gave up 5 weeks before daughter was born and she was a healthy baby 

• Jill

If you have stopped smoking heavily now that you know then most likely everything will be fine. 

The kid is toast.

you baby will come out smoked. like a smoked salmon. yummy!