San
San asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Fresh and bottled lemon juice?

Can you tell the difference when you use in a dish freshly squeezed lemon juice instead of bottled lemon juice?

Thanks!

Absolutely.  Fresh, like from my lemon tree is wonderful.  I can slice it in half and eat it as is - fresh - picked yellow.  Concentrate - from the bottle is like a completely different product, as is a green picked lemon from California - very sour.

• San

Thanks!

• Janet

Yes, I can in some recipes. I don't buy bottled lemon juice .. I use those plastic "lemons" that you can squeeze the juice out of, and there is a LOT of stuff in there. So read the label on your bottled lemon juice.

I try to always have fresh lemons in my refrigerator. With voluntary self-isolation, I'm not going to the store that often, so my plastic lemon is becoming useful.

If lemons had content-labels on them, they would say: "Lemon juice" ... period.

Yes. Bottled tastes weird, it has something added to it so it doesn't go off. Use fresh if at all possible.

probably not.

there sill always be those snooty few who think they know but generally nope, no one would notice.

I always thought the first choice was to use fresh lemon. 

I was watching either Cooks Country or America's Test Kitchen and I think  they were making preserves and in this case they used bottled lemon juice because they were positive of the acidity of the lemon juice VS using fresh.  This would be the only instance where I could see suing bottled over fresh. 

Same goes with almost any citrus again with one more exception...I was foolish enough to try making Key Lime Pie from "fresh" limes and the number of limes I had to squeeze to get the necessary amount was insane! Went back to Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice for the next pie. 

• Will

Yes I can definitely tell the difference...

If bottled lemon juice is fresh I won't notice a big difference. If nearing expiration date yes.

Lemon juice in bottles is real lemon juice, but it has some kind of preservative in it, and you can taste it.  Well, some people can taste it.  I can taste it.