Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

How can I convince my parents I'm working at uni?

My parents recently are concerned that I am not working as hard as I should be at uni. 

I do no got clubbing, drink or smoke and very rarely go out. Yet my parents are giving me a hard time saying I constantly go out with "lots of different people" meaning I don't get time to study. This isn't the case at all. I only go out properly once or twice a month, and in holidays, once a week. The rest of the week at uni is spent studying on campus.

How can I convince my parents that I don't go out all the time and am getting my work done?

I do not get bad grades. The tutors always say I work very hard but my parents are not convinced for some reason. 

They keep giving me a hard time recently and don't seem to trust me. They keep giving me a hard time everytime I go out which isn't that often at all.

i dont think you can, you can always prove it to them by the grades you get

Could you get proofs for yourself?  Maybe take photos or films at times you are at places they says you were no where near? 

Pray to God about this! 

• Jerry

You say "I do not get bad grades" rather than "I get good grades." 

Your parents are thinking that the reason your grades aren't better because of how you budget your time. I suspect that the reason your grades aren't better is because you aren't very good at studying. You're like the person trying to cut up the wood and build a bookcase without knowing how to measure, how to operate the saw, how to use a level. No matter how much time you put into building that bookcase, you're still going to get a poor result.

Find a tutor to teach you study skills, teach you test taking skills. If you don't get training in HOW to study, then it's going to be like that book case -- no matter how much time you put into it, you're still not going to end up with a good result. 

Along with that, how many classes are you taking? Are your parents thinking that this is like high school where a bright student can take 7 courses, get high grades in all of them, and still have plenty of time left over for a part time job, sports, hobbies, a social life? 

Ask a guidance counselor to call your parents and explain that college is a lot more demanding. When I was a peer counselor, our guideline for budgeting time was this:

credit hours x desired grade = work hours

Work hours means IN ADDITION TO the time you spend in the class room. So if Chemistry is a 4 credit class and you want a B+ (3.5), how much time do you budget for homework and study? 4 x 3.5 = 14 hours. Every week. If you're taking 16 credits worth of classes and want a strong B (3.2), then you need over 50 hours a week over and above the 16 hours a week you spend in class. That's a 66 hour work week. 

Prove to them that you are balancing your social and study life. Ask tutors if need be to feedback to your parents. Show them your grades too. 

• Rick B

Just tell them what you told us. Ask them why they think otherwise.

Show them a copy of your homework (alternately email or as a pic) when it's complete, 

also provide them with your grades+relevant feedback as soon as it becomes available.

As for studying .. 

Go over the material with them. They might learn something new through your experience.

If finding this time consuming: Who's paying for your tuition, books, room and meal plan?

• W

Get better grades? If your grades suck, it's going to be to hard to convince that you can't work harder.

• Jerry

Work harder AND work smarter. Thumbs up!