Verulam 1 asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 2 months ago

UK What are YOU doing with the mail, when delivered. For how long are you leaving it unopened?

Update:

I had two bit of mail delivered this am.  One was a CC bill and the other a newsletter from the Injured Jockeys Fund.   After leaving both on a bench in the hallway, wearing gloves and a paper opener, I later opened both and binned the envelopes which should have taken care of anybody handling the outside covers, be it the source, or the postie.  I'm expecting two deliveries of food for my dogs - both will be going into the garage for a while as I don't need either immediately.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

I open it straight away, deal with the contents, then wash my hands. Most of it goes in the recycling bin anyway.

• catrin l
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Thanks,

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Parcels are being quarantined for 72 hours. Letters are opened and examined then bagged for quarantining if necessary, followed by thorough hand washing.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I open the envelope immediately then use a hand sanitiser after I've read the contents. If it's junk mail I rip it into small pieces and flush it down the toilet and then wash my hands again taking care never to touch my face until I'm sure my hands are clinically clean. 

• Verulam 1
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Please do not flush mail down the toilet.    You could either just put it in our black bag rubbish, or burn it!!

• Jack H
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Open it, burn envelope, wash hands, read contents, wash hands...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

If it’s a bill or invoice, I’m leaving it unopened. Several months should be sufficient.

Cheques and remittances get opened straight away, then hands washed.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Most authorities seem to take the view that the transmission is by interpersonal contact, ie skin to skin or via inhaling droplets from an infected person, hence being 5 to 6 feet apart. Contaminated surfaces like paper, which I assume you are getting at, is less clear. Just open the letter and ditch the envelope then immediately wash your hands for 20 secs and avoid touching your face in the meantime. The contents of things like bills are packed by machine so should not be a problem. I would be more worried about handling money, which is why plastic (ideally contactless payment) is the better choice.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Haven't had any much. I get statements which I rarely bother to open, so am putting those on one side to deal with later as per usual. I am getting hospital letters by SMS text rather than mail now. I suppose if you are worried you could put stuff outside in a well lit spot: sunlight is the best disinfectant as the saying goes. At least there seems to be no junk mail which is a blessing.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I open it straight away, throw away the envelope and wash my hands.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Hit it with (UV-C)light which is a disinfectionmethod that uses short-wavelength ultraviolet (UV-C)light to kill or inactivate microorganisms by destroying nucleic acids and disrupting their DNA, leaving them unable to perform vital cellular functions.

• Sigmond
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

First find your UV-C source. I checked my UV torch and it is the wrong wavelength.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Why would you leave mail unopened????

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.