Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 2 months ago

If there wasn't money at ancient times, then how did the ancient economy work?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Barter and trade

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Hockey
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Define ancient times. People have had a currency of some sorts for a long time.

• ?
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Here in Europe the ancient Minoans had coins, from around 3,700 years ago.

• 2 months ago

There was no economy: just people co-operating.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Oiy
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Barter system can work though. But it's a problem of efficiency. It cannot work at the same speed as today.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Well, back when everybody was roaming the land as hunter-gatherer there was some kind of communism. You did what you could to provide for your "band"

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

how far back are you talking?  Money has been around a long time.  if there was no money then you would have bartered.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Prior to currency, trade was based on barter, the direct exchange of goods or services that both parties agreed were of equal value. Of course, this could be quite a problematic system. If i had 100 pigs, and wanted to trade them for grapes, i would either have to find a grape grower who wanted pigs, or someone who had something the grape grower wanted. And how many grapes is one pig worth? So money was invented as a universally accepted trading medium with a set value. I can sell my pigs to anyone for money, then use the money to buy grapes from any grower.

• 2 months ago

most trade was done this for that. If you let me bang your smokin hot daughter I will let you milk my cow, etc

• 2 months ago

Many ancient civilizations did have money. The ancient Romans, the ancient Chinese, the ancient Egyptians, and others.

But those that didn't would have a "barter" system. Direct trade of goods and services.

I need some milk from your cows, and you need someone to build a fence, so let's do a deal.

Something like that. People would trade the things that they had for the things that they needed, whether it was assets or skills.  In a small village or tribe, that can work. With a bigger more structured society, money makes that process easier.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.